ballast resistor Problem? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 01:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ballast resistor Problem?

I was bump clicking the starter relay on my 73 plymouth working on getting it on TDC, while doing it i forgot to do something just took a min, but when i went back and was going to try it again, when i hit the relay just Bumping it, using a screw driver it quit, just clicks the starter solenoid. Cant figure it out, battery new checked at 12.7 volts cleaned all contacts still the same like not enough juice to kick in the starter. could the ballast resister do this? I know what there for but im trying to eliminate all things while i wait for warm weather if thats going to ever happen. I thought of starter relay itself but im a little lost, i did try the key, same thing. Next time i go out im going to try to jump big wire on starter to small one on solenoid, that should tell me if its there or before the starter causing this, worked great about 4 bumps in then just quit.. Thanks, Ron.

I forgot to add if it makes a difference in this case, It has an acell coil. About like MSD..

Advertisement

Last edited by ron82; 04-05-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: P.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 03:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The ballast has nothing to do w/the problem you're having- it just drops voltage to the coil when the engine is running.

You may just need to tighten the connections at the solenoid, check the grounds. There's an outside chance a fusible link burned out.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Check connections and i would stick a charger on it and and try it, see if it turns then with juice to it. JMO

Cole
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

Thanks much guys, I ordered a high TQ starter and going to pick up a couple ballasit resister might even get the starter relay. Everything is about 85 bucks, may as well do it right. I am thinking its the soloinoid but its 3o plus dollars and i can get the starter with one on it for under 60 so go figure. Thank you all much!!! for your time.Ron..

P.S. someone send some warm weather over here!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Check connections and i would stick a charger on it and and try it, see if it turns then with juice to it. JMO

Cole
If thats your car in the avatar there, she do look sweet buddy! I have a 82 Camaro i need to paint this summer, my plymouth is one thats just about done, hate the little jobs going back together after paint. Ron.. My car pretty dirty here, had just put it up for winter but if you like Mopar this is the one im workin on.. Dirty but hey..... picture i scanned wasent that clean either scotch tape on top. lol.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82
Thanks much guys, I ordered a high TQ starter and going to pick up a couple ballasit resister might even get the starter relay. Everything is about 85 bucks, may as well do it right. I am thinking its the soloinoid but its 3o plus dollars and i can get the starter with one on it for under 60 so go figure. Thank you all much!!! for your time.Ron..

P.S. someone send some warm weather over here!

That ballast resistor has absolutely zero to do with your problem, you would get just as much help by changing a tire as changing that resistor!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
That ballast resistor has absolutely zero to do with your problem, you would get just as much help by changing a tire as changing that resistor!
No Argument at all, as usual i didn't explain EXACTLY...
Im getting 2 of them, Ive had them go out, and i like to keep one in the car just in case, there was a few times i wished i had one! I did not at the start think it was but that is why i asked, BECAUSE, ive learned stranger things then this causing problems before, all this did is put my thought to rest with it. Thank you, have a good night. Ron

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.