Hot Rod Forum banner

Ballast resistor wiring

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JJLT1 
#1 ·
I installed a Mopar electronic ignition on my D150 with a 318 my question is this,

For the wire that is supposed to go from the ballast resistor to the wire that gets power when the key is in the start position can i just wire this to the same terminal that goes to the starter for power?

Seems to me this would be the easiest to hook into and where it only gets power when the key is in the start position it would be the correct hookup versus trying to tie it into the wiring up by the main distribution block and having to cut into the main harness to find the wire there that gets power when the key is turned to start.

The instructions say to connect it to the yellow wire at the starter relay but when I do that the starter will not disengage once the motor starts. It just keeps trying to crank it over even when it is already running.

#2 ·
not sure how the relay is wired?? but it seems to me??

you would need a diode in the yellow wire
to keep the ignition power from back-feeding to the starter solenoid..
otherwise, the yellow will be hot all the time from the resistor..

the starter relay has other terminals on it, not sure on the wiring?
but one of those may work without a diode..
More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SR112T

but some relays are 5 terminal and some are 7 terminal..
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=320286&cc=1084126&jsn=464

#6 ·
this is a conventional 5 pin mopar ignition system install

the Brown wire gets powered up during cranking.

in the run position.. there is just voltage from the other side of the circuit there.

this is a 74 or so mopar starter relay... see the terminal marked BAL in the upper left corner.. that is where you hook the brown wire to... it is the Same as the I terminal on a ford relay.. or the R terminal on the gm starter mounted solenoid.. its the resistor bypass circuit.

warning.. the mopar starter relay drawing above shows the lower left terminal.. as the IGNITION terminal.. that is not the ignition terminal that comes from the IGNITION SWITCH CRANKING position..

i have to fix that image.. but its on Photobucket and they have so many issues... including key stroke counters.. i can hardly type right now.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.