Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
I used to really like Kraft sauces, but they changed. I don't like a real vinegar based sauce. Is the preservative vinegar? Do the Jack Daniels type sauces use alcohol as a preservative? Maybe Dan could explain the preservatives?
Kraft is owned by Phillip-Morris, the biggest conglomeration of businesses in the world. Profit driven, which ever is cheapest, is the bestest, as far as they are concerned. Their claim to fame, cheese, has gone into just an ok product, Wisconsin is still the best cheese maker in the world, IMO, California is knocking on the door as far as most dairy goes, but don't have the quality, this is just my opinion. Kraft survives by price, name and shelving

Preservatives? Salt, vinegar, sugar, acids, nitrates, there's a mess of them.In bbq sauce, my guess would be cheaper ingredients in some sauces, especially brand names. These guys survive by pumping out simple, tasty sauces. Krafts Kansas and Bulls Eye used to be my favorites until I discovered Mo's.

My Dad made a killer bbq sauce, tomato sauce, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper, powdered mustard, a dash of brandy or whiskey and probably a few things I can't remember, there may have been a dash of nutmeg and clove powder.

I like the green Tabasco, the red is a bit too much vinegar taste for me, I think that might be the heartburn or stomach problem caused, WR. Also the Louisiana Green sauce is tasty. I generally use Tapatio like catsup, or Choluma for a little less kick.

If you're ever in Gilroy, the Pepper Plant and Garlic World have some killer sauces, Pepper Plant has a bbq sauce that is real tasty but not for sissys. I will be working up that way this summer and will definitely stock up with Pepper Plant. There is a place close by that sells P.P. but they get waaaay too much money for the stuff, I can buy 2 for 1 in Gilroy. http://www.thepepperplant.com/shop.html there are some more stores, check here.