Barbecue - Page 18 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you come across a sauce recipe that you really like then please share it.
I always use Sweet Baby Rays but I may add some heat or beer if so inclined.[/QUOTE]

The last 2 times I made ribs, I made 3 different flavors. All of them used the Pappy's and brown sugar rub. One rack was just the rub, one rack had SBR and one rack I used the Sesame Ginger marinade, I did not use it as a marinade, I used it as a sauce and put it on at the end....the sesame ginger was everyone favorite between the 3 different flavors.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Thanks, I may give that a try - - - - I"ve sure had the munchies for some dead pig ribs lately and all 3 major Grocery chains have them on sale this week. Not much into grilling for da'game but I used to be and usually fixed shrimp, stuffed jalapenos and grilled hot wings for the crew - - - doubt that I'll even watch it, altho I do like the 'niners.

Just bought me Kettle type grill and it's taking me a few trys to get the hang of it. First try was some thin sliced marinated beef short ribs and I cremated them but the second batch was better - - - not much you can do with something sliced that thin, if you like your meat juicy that is. Did a beer butted chicken this morning and it was perfect - - - - when I put it on the plate the meat just fell off the bones and it was juicy and tender.

Now to find me some Sesame Ginger Marinade.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

Costilla De Puerco Marinada

Translated as Marinated Pork Short Ribs and only $2.99 a pound. My oldest son turned me onto these last month and after doing the beef version, I decided that they were too thin cut and came out pretty dry and not juicy. However these Pork Short Ribs should do just fine and I can't wait to try them.

Picked these up at the local "Mexican Grocery" BTW !
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
Translated as Marinated Pork Short Ribs and only $2.99 a pound. My oldest son turned me onto these last month and after doing the beef version, I decided that they were too thin cut and came out pretty dry and not juicy. However these Pork Short Ribs should do just fine and I can't wait to try them.

Picked these up at the local "Mexican Grocery" BTW !
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

The trick to the kettle grills is put a line of coals right down the middle and put the meat off to the sides of the coals. When the coals start burning down you can move the meat over the top of the coals without burning it. I use about 1/2 of the chimneys worth of coals. It will last withhout adding more coals if it's just right. If it burns down too low you can add some more coals. I try not to use more than 2 racks of ribs on one kettle. If I do 4 racks then I use 2 kettles. 3 racks will work one kettle....They sell the sesame ginger marinade at the super markets, some of it is sold under the super market brand and some is Lawry's
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, it didn't take long to realize that I needed to put the fire so that I had a location for the meat that wasn't directly over the heat. When I did the beer butt bird yesterday, I put the fire at the end where the top air vent was and I had the bird in a pan sitting on the beer can. I started it out right at the edge of the heat and then moved it away after I got some good color on the outside.

Do you "ever" use a rib rack and stand your ribs on their sides?

I'm sure gonna try that marinade and soon.

Footnote: we went to Chili's to eat today and my choice was between a 10 oz sirloin or a half rack of Memphis Dry Rub Baby Backs and I chose the Steak - - - - it was good except of their garlic that they don't know how to use. There were NO leftovers.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Last photo:

The rib rack does not work too good. I only used it once when I saw how it worked. You can get 4 racks of ribs in it but you can't control it easy. You can do a beer can chicken on a kettle if you use a pan over the coals, I have only been able to get 1 chicken on a kettle, it has to be right in the middle or the lid will hit. Gas grills are the way to go with the beer can chickens, You can get at least 3 of them on at a time if you want.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

Memphis Style Baby Back Ribs

Well, I've looked at 2 stores and haven't found the Sesame Ginger Marinade yet but I will. More than likely Kroger's will have it so I'll need to make a special stop by there.

Even tho I couldn't find the marinade, I still had the major munchies for some low and slow ribs so I picked up a small rack of Baby Backs and did them Barbeque Pit Boys Memphis Dry Style. Wasn't the best taste but still very edible and it satisfied my munchies for a while anyhow. Warmed up some SBR sauce for dipping if needed and I liked them both ways - dry and with sauce.

These were a 4 hour cook on the Kettle with a water pan under the ribs and the temp at 250 which I managed to keep about 75% of the time. That's another thing I learning to do - - - keep the heat at the correct temp. There was no wind today so it was pretty easy to set and walk away then check it when I basted every hour. First time in a long time that "I've" made the tater salad and I WAS LARAPIN ! Did the Pintos yesterday and refrigerated them all night and they are headed towards become next week's Chili stock.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Looks good now I'm hungry. I don't use a water pan. I open the vent on the bottom of the kettle up all the way and open the vent on top 1/2. You can throw a piece of fat or something on the coals to get it smoking. Cooking time can vary with the humidity in the air. When the meat shrinks back on the ribs you know when it's done....Kroger sells a brand of the sesame ginger, it might say mandrain orange on the label also.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, Kroger is my next searching place. I think that the reason I used the water pan was my lack of confidence in controlling the heat - - OH, and that's the way the BQPitBoys do it. hahahaha They also recommended an hourly baste with a 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice which I don't think I'll do next time either. I think I'll just do a light baste with SBR's right before time to take them off.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd View Post
I used the Sesame Ginger marinade, I did not use it as a marinade, I used it as a sauce and put it on at the end....the sesame ginger was everyone favorite between the 3 different flavors.
OK, I found some now did you just put the Brown Sugar Rub on, slow cook and then baste with the SGM right before taking them off the pit?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
OK, I found some now did you just put the Brown Sugar Rub on, slow cook and then baste with the SGM right before taking them off the pit?
That's the stuff. That's how I do the ribs. I use the golden brown sugar....That also works real good on tri tip. I marinade the tri tip first and baste some of the sesame ginger on it while it's cooking.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Very good thing you guy's don't live next door...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

You got that right, Cajun Pal, I've seen some of that Grub you guys fix and I would be the one invading your digs unless you could figure out how to hide that awesome aroma from them crustaceans and hopping critters.

BTW, what Y'all fixin' for "Fat Tuesday"
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
You got that right, Cajun Pal, I've seen some of that Grub you guys fix and I would be the one invading your digs unless you could figure out how to hide that awesome aroma from them crustaceans and hopping critters.

BTW, what Y'all fixin' for "Fat Tuesday"

You must mean these goodies.. That is trees and my friends wife digging in..

Not sure yet !!! But the mud bugs are coming soon..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_6269.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	71270   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_6273.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	71271  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.