Barbecue - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 11:52 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brian, I used to love Tabasco sauce and I have used both the red and green but about 15 years ago I became very intolerant to it. However, I use the Louisiana Red Sauce all the time on everything and it doesn't bother me at all. All I can figure is that I can tolerate the Cayenne peppers but not the Tabasco peppers. Weird huh??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
Brian, I used to love Tabasco sauce and I have used both the red and green but about 15 years ago I became very intolerant to it. However, I use the Louisiana Red Sauce all the time on everything and it doesn't bother me at all. All I can figure is that I can tolerate the Cayenne peppers but not the Tabasco peppers. Weird huh??
Very odd, but of course you go with it and be thankful you have the Cayenne.

Brian
Old 05-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

I went to one of the links on top of the page for BBQ sauce and ended up at http://www.texasbbqforum.com They have some serious BBQ going on over there. They have pictures of the throw down BBQ winners.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

Some of those old boys/gals are serious 'bout their "Q'n" ain't they? Back in the days, I used to go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo's Annual Barbeque Cookoff every year and just to walk around and look at the Passion and $$$$$$'s that they put into some of those operations is mind boggling.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

I am going to try out some of the stuff they have on there. There is some tastey looking rouladen pictures on there. They also have some stuffed roast that look real tastey.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Jd

This is may favorite sauce, original style.
http://www.jackdanielssauces.com/bbq/bbq_products.aspx
Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Specking of Jack - - - when we lived in the Hill Country we had several paper shell pecan trees and therefore we always had plenty of fresh pecans. We gave away many sacks to friends and relatives but still had freezer bag after freezer bag full of the shelled great tasting beauties. I got to roasting them in the oven and we would snack on them during the week/day/hour and one of the recipes that I used was with Black Jack and Sugar - - - man were they good. Of course all the alcohol is gone by the time you roast them so nothing to worry about there.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

I wonder if you can just add some Jack Daniels to BBQ sauce to give it the flavor. They sell the wood from the whiskey barrels. You can taste it in the meat when it's smoked.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here is my favorite bbq sauce, sweet with a tangy bite:http://www.smokinmosbbq.com/

I order it by the case over the net, it's actually cheaper that way, instead of buying it at the restaurant.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

About BBQ Sauce

I used to really like Kraft sauces, but they changed. I don't like a real vinegar based sauce. Is the preservative vinegar? Do the Jack Daniels type sauces use alcohol as a preservative? Maybe Dan could explain the preservatives?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I use to like the jack Daniels sauces.Now I use this one..http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/
Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
I used to really like Kraft sauces, but they changed. I don't like a real vinegar based sauce. Is the preservative vinegar? Do the Jack Daniels type sauces use alcohol as a preservative? Maybe Dan could explain the preservatives?
Kraft is owned by Phillip-Morris, the biggest conglomeration of businesses in the world. Profit driven, which ever is cheapest, is the bestest, as far as they are concerned. Their claim to fame, cheese, has gone into just an ok product, Wisconsin is still the best cheese maker in the world, IMO, California is knocking on the door as far as most dairy goes, but don't have the quality, this is just my opinion. Kraft survives by price, name and shelving

Preservatives? Salt, vinegar, sugar, acids, nitrates, there's a mess of them.In bbq sauce, my guess would be cheaper ingredients in some sauces, especially brand names. These guys survive by pumping out simple, tasty sauces. Krafts Kansas and Bulls Eye used to be my favorites until I discovered Mo's.

My Dad made a killer bbq sauce, tomato sauce, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper, powdered mustard, a dash of brandy or whiskey and probably a few things I can't remember, there may have been a dash of nutmeg and clove powder.

I like the green Tabasco, the red is a bit too much vinegar taste for me, I think that might be the heartburn or stomach problem caused, WR. Also the Louisiana Green sauce is tasty. I generally use Tapatio like catsup, or Choluma for a little less kick.

If you're ever in Gilroy, the Pepper Plant and Garlic World have some killer sauces, Pepper Plant has a bbq sauce that is real tasty but not for sissys. I will be working up that way this summer and will definitely stock up with Pepper Plant. There is a place close by that sells P.P. but they get waaaay too much money for the stuff, I can buy 2 for 1 in Gilroy. http://www.thepepperplant.com/shop.html there are some more stores, check here.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Hey Dinger,, do you have the recipe for that pulled pork you took to the drags??
I tryed out a new rub for pork yesterday,, decided to try my luck mixin up something a little different,,, turned out pretty good, just the right amount of tang,, for me anyway
post up that recipe if you have it or do it from memory,,
if ya get time try this one.
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika, ( I use the smoked Paprika, a bit more smoky taste)
2 Table s Black pepper
2 tbls course sea salt or kosher salt
1 Tbls Cayenne pepper
4 tea s cumin
2tsp dry mustard
2tsp onion powder,
2tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Thyme powder
2tsp sage
2 tsp Coriander
Mix it all together,
cut off all the escess fat but not too much,

wash and dry the meat ( i use a pork butt)
slather on table mustard, and then the rub real good.

place in a bag and pour in about a 1/4Cup of apple juice or apple cider, seal well and placed in the refergrater overnight if possible or for at least a hour or so,,

smoke at 225 -235 * for 1'1/2 hrs per pound,

done ,,inside temp should be 190*

I like to" poke" the meat with a large fork to allow the rub and juices to penetrate the meat,, makes for a real tender juicy pulled pork...

I just concocted this yesterday,, so post up what you guys think if you try it

Last edited by Bad Rat; 05-22-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Bad Rat]Hey Dinger,, do you have the recipe for that pulled pork you took to the drags??
/QUOTE]

You're relying on an old memory...If I remember right, it was pork tri tip, sliced into about 2 inch slices, much like slicing a butt roast into sections. But, first I browned in in a cast iron skillet, lots of salt and pepper, Stacked it in the crock pot, slices of yellow onion between each slice of meat, stacked. Each slice of meat gets chopped garlic, pepper and a little salt, not much. I put 2 tri tip roasts this way, fill the crock pot with about an inch of water and a splash of liquid smoke, stack the meat in there and cook for about 6-8 hours, on low. Take the meat out and it should pull fairly easy. I think I didn't put Mos bbq on it at the time, left that up to the folks eating it. And I almost forgot, browned it in bacon fat and veggie oil.

Your recipe sounds a heqq of a lot better than mine!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Memory must still be OK,,, better than mine for sure, I was so busy consuming it that it didn't really matter what it was,,it sure was tasty,
That sounds like a good way to do it.. get the flavors distributed evenly that way,,
I'm gonna try that, Thanks,,
are you going to the drags this year,, if so which ones? I think I like the reunion the best,, might try for that again this year
I did have plans to go to the NHRA nats in Indy, but not too sure bout that yet.. I hate huge elbow bumping crowds like that would be,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.