bare Large port bowties vortecs casting # 371c - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

bare Large port bowties vortecs casting # 371c

hi all, ive been talking about a mild street performance build 400 sbc, cheap and low cost, the cylinder heads i have now. Have been recomended to me before, for low dollar performance cylinder heads. I took it very seriously, looked up prices and decided to take a shot at these heads, and though they were not meant for flat tappet cam matching performance, theyr the new roller cam/ roller rocker hi perf springs and things. I got them bare. Plan on buying the valves from the same place i got my heads. Crate engine depot here in Illinois, surprised as how much cheaper they are. And shipping was quick.
But anyways other than that i plan on matching the cam instead of doing something like a thought up cam before. Thinking i could just build a motor and argue like an idiot, my apoligies to all that have corrected me.. I am sadly mistaken.
And alot have told me these heads werent worth high performance applications. People tell me to set my eyes on some AFRs for what power i was seeking. But recently found out the intake side flows better then the 'racing' afrs at .550 lift(ill get to that if anyones curious of the point) Theres a flow sheet on SBC cylinder head info, AFRs and stuff should google and look. The sheet i got with the heads says May 2007 GM revised the 371 casting to improve flow there 215 cc intake runners, 84 cc exh.(revised) Ports and the 65 cc heart shaped combustion chamber.. The heart shaped chamber really defines a unique slogan "The Heartbeat of America" valve covers...
BUT anyways lets take a look at these heads.

This sheet also lists all the P/Ns like the valves. Im going cheap through the crate engine depot cause of coarse there prices are much better than summits.

Notice this sheet also explains the five angle valve grind the heads come with. Its pretty wild, didnt expect this at all....
Has anyone got any clue as to what the flow charts from .100 all the way up to .500 inch lift on the 371s? If so thank you. This sheet only provides lil info on lift/flow (wet flow) at .550 281 CFM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vortec igsignia.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	60480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intakes.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	60481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Combustion .jpg
Views:	94
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	60482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heart.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	60483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowtie emblem.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	60484  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

I cant speak of the 371 casting but I have the 906 casting heads and found a lot of power out of the comp cams 288R grind. 12 to 1 compression static, 355 bore. Something to the tune of 450 horse, all motor.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

Check Stan Weiss's site, has about any Head you can imagine.
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm
Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

302, would you please post the entire casting number? Thank you.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

casting number is 25534371.
Im not for sure on my claims before about comparision to afrs, that flow data about the afrs could be old or not used as real proof., notice ive googled these heads and no ones metioned these kinda 371s except a few that were intrested in them 4 years ago...
If im not mistaken.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Stainless steel retainers, manleys swirl polished race series valves 2.00,(they fit right in and cost less then GMs) and im looking at a matching 1.56 exhaust valves from manley, (also cheaper). Comps 3/8s raised guide plates. Plan on a pocket port by a pro, which should boost flow about another 10%.
Roller cam springs, what kinda springs should i be looking at? Im also looking at roller rockers, ik im not reving to the moon, but it also keeps wear out of the guides. I just want something i can stomp on and be dead reliable

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.