Bare Metal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bare Metal

OK, I'm working on re-painting my car. Before I decided to re-paint it. I put in a patch panel on the passenger side rear quarter and some other body work on the driver's side . All the body work is done on the rear Quarter panel's. So in saying this I was wondering since the body work is done although part of the panel is primed and the other half is painted would it be ok to sand the old paint and then prime the rest of the panel? Right now I have Dupont 2k urethane primer filler would this be ok for those panels after scuffing up the old paint to finish it up or is there something else I need? Now the rest of the car I was planning on sanding down to metal. I would sand the rear panels down to metal, but I really don't want to redo all the body work. When sanding down to metal what would be best way to prepare for paint? This Primer alone wouldn't be enough-correct? Should I use an etching or epoxy primer then the filler primer. Then put the guide coat on fix any imperfections then block sand? Info Is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I use and recomend the epoxy primer since the rust buggers are sealed away then and one can then proceed at ones leisure with the rest of it..filler and blocking is the next procedure..

Sam
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
I use and recomend the epoxy primer since the rust buggers are sealed away then and one can then proceed at ones leisure with the rest of it..filler and blocking is the next procedure..

Sam
So on the panel that is Primered/Painted I can just sand then epoxy prime 1st then primer filler just like I will do with the bare metal? Once I spray the epoxy then the primer filler spray the guide coat and start blocking if there is some noticable spots needing attention (Hopefully not) can you apply the glazing putty or bondo straight to the primer filler? Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I use SPI epoxy and marson platinum filler..once my epoxy is on all over then I do a quick guide blocking to show where filler is required..do that and then apply my 2k and keep on keeping on with the blocking until I have it to my satisfaction..then a seal coat of reduced epoxy and then base coat..

Sam
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
I use SPI epoxy and marson platinum filler..once my epoxy is on all over then I do a quick guide blocking to show where filler is required..do that and then apply my 2k and keep on keeping on with the blocking until I have it to my satisfaction..then a seal coat of reduced epoxy and then base coat..

Sam
Thanks for the input! I'll get some epoxy tomorrow and get started.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Why do you want to sand the old paint down to the metal ?????
Epoxy is good over metal but theres no need to prime over the paint if its in good shape just sand it with 320 and paint.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Why do you want to sand the old paint down to the metal ?????
Epoxy is good over metal but theres no need to prime over the paint if its in good shape just sand it with 320 and paint.
Well, I'm sanding down to metal just because I wanted to see what body work was done previously, and it looks like this would be the 3rd color change also. As for the back panels and the roof of the car. I know what's been done back there so I did'nt want to take it to metal on those panel's. I was always told to prime everytime before you re-paint. I sanded the old paint really good and got it smooth. I was worried that the paint would'nt have very good adhesive or could possible bleed through if I did'nt prime it. If I don't have to it would save me some time. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396chevelle
Well, I'm sanding down to metal just because I wanted to see what body work was done previously, and it looks like this would be the 3rd color change also. As for the back panels and the roof of the car. I know what's been done back there so I did'nt want to take it to metal on those panel's. I was always told to prime everytime before you re-paint. I sanded the old paint really good and got it smooth. I was worried that the paint would'nt have very good adhesive or could possible bleed through if I did'nt prime it. If I don't have to it would save me some time. Thanks!
with that many color changes sanding all the paint off would be a good idea but if your not sanding it completely off there's really no need to prime ,if the old paint peels off it'll take the primer off too the primer wont help the old paint stick better ,if its not cracked or peeling and looks straight just sand with 320 and paint or you might find youve opened a big can of worms.on the other hand stripping the car to the metal is the only way to go if you have a lot of time and money...OR you can sand a layer or two of paint off with 180 and use a little primer to fill the scratches.but just sanding the top layer of paint and priming it doesnt do anything but waste time and money and create an unnecessary build up of materials that'll chip easy or even crack later on...
a paint sealer will get the car all one color thats important so theres no thin spots in your paint job that you can see and epoxy makes a great paint sealer when reduced 10-20% , or putting two coats of color on the primer spots can work as a sealer too....paint makes a good sealer too

Last edited by deadbodyman; 11-01-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
with that many color changes sanding all the paint off would be a good idea but if your not sanding it completely off there's really no need to prime ,if the old paint peels off it'll take the primer off too the primer wont help the old paint stick better ,if its not cracked or peeling and looks straight just sand with 320 and paint or you might find youve opened a big can of worms.on the other hand stripping the car to the metal is the only way to go if you have a lot of time and money...OR you can sand a layer or two of paint off with 180 and use a little primer to fill the scratches.but just sanding the top layer of paint and priming it doesnt do anything but waste time and money and create an unnecessary build up of materials that'll chip easy or even crack later on...
a paint sealer will get the car all one color thats important so theres no thin spots in your paint job that you can see and epoxy makes a great paint sealer when reduced 10-20% , or putting two coats of color on the primer spots can work as a sealer too....paint makes a good sealer too
Well, I'll epoxy it the way I have it now and go from there. Glad I don't have to fool with the back like I've done the front. It's been a lot of work trying to get it perfect.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 AM

If it was ez everyone would be driving around in a perfect paint job

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.