Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bare Metal
Thread: Bare Metal
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 09:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[ Epoxy has good corrosion resistance, much better than urethane primer. However, not as good as etch. So if you apply the etch before the epoxy you get the best of both.
8*********************************************

Got this a little back wards here.
Some of the weakest epoxy;s made in the automotive market will
have at least 4 more times corrosion Resistance than the best acid etch and on the high side is 14 -16 times.

I know S&W brain washed you with this because they want to sell products (mo money!) with properly prepped metal epoxy is all you need and the strongest. Dupont and S&W did love their acid etch but its just plain outdated with todays systems.
Dupont learned the hard way because they sell so many restorers and are now taking the high road with epoxy, as they say the wave of the future! Where have they been?

Also you are right as 2K primers do poor over metal but it may interest you to know the very best of the 2ks do equal the acid etch within a few hours on the salt spray test but still bad in the 60-70 hour range at 30% before creeping.
S&W did have the best acid etch out there as far as the salt spray test as I worked hard years ago to get mine as good.
I discontinued mine about 3 years ago. Just could not sleep at night!

Last edited by BarryK; 07-22-2004 at 02:26 PM.