Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bare Metal
Thread: Bare Metal
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 11:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by MARTINSR
I am with you on the warranties, that is real easy to believe. They are working on the odds, plain and simple.

The test of the etch under the epoxy says a lot. But how in the world could you say a salt spray test on bare anything is a subjective test? Bare etch primer? It isn't meant or recommended to be used that way. It is like testing paint applied to a block of ice, when it fails you can't say the paint is of poor quality.
************************************************** *** Really it says a lot, if you live in Michigan on salt roads and you get a chip, how big and fast will it spread?
Epoxy or acid etch has two jobs, adhesion and the SPREADING of rust. Thats why the salt spray tests.

Have you done tests with these products applied as recommended with paint over them to protect it?
Yes, i get totally stupid on these tests, its a riot and full if information that no one want published!
I will take different base coats and use other clears over them and see what holds up better. Just took a major company base and used their $300 a gallon clear and also used their base with Duponts 7800 glamor clear. On the stone chip test it was a 60% improvement mixing systems! Oh! you can;t do that! I forgot!
When I used a HS poly clear it improved 97%!
This same company that I used the base from is a euro company with high prices but quality not great, so I did a test with scuff a factory job and went to base and on other half of fender scuff base and applied epoxy before using there base and clear. Their base clear had a 84% fail rate on the chip test and with epoxy had a 17% fail rate!
To answer your question, the testing of acid etch with their system, not to mention any names as to company but yes, I did without the epoxy over it. I applied their 2K sealer before base and it hit somewhere between 120 and 150 hour mark, its been a couple of years and just can't remember the exact hour time.
What helped is I did use their best clear at the time and thats what I always do to give them benefit of doubt.

Last edited by BarryK; 07-23-2004 at 12:05 PM.