Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bare Metal
Thread: Bare Metal
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2004, 06:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARTINSR
[B]Barry, I really appreciate your passion for what you are doing. Let me as you a few more questions to fully understand what you have found.

How about any flash rust that is bound to exist on bare metal? If you have a little flash rust the acid in the etch is going to "convert" it. How did the epoxy hold up when a little rust is present?
************************************************** ***With a 30% solution the bare metal will be yellow in about 15-20 minutes. I recall no difference between the epoxy and any of the acid etches. The epoxy is excellent against the rust.
I'm not sure I'm answering your question but if I understand when the crosshatch is done with the screw driver the acid would be gone? Really never paid any attention to this detail but will next time.
########################################

I am fascinated on your findings. I know you don't want to toss around brand names and for that matter, it shouldn't make that big of a difference anyway as long as they are like technologies they should be "pretty close". But was that etch of S-W's that worked the best (as I remember you said that) the Vinyl wash? It has PVC in it which makes sense that it would be a special product.
########################################
Yes, the Vinyl wash from day one has always been the best and I would have to rate Vari-prime a solid second.

"Technologies pretty close"
You don't know how close! There are no secrets in this business.
We all buy our Isocyanate's from one company Bayer-mobay Yes the aspirin maker they are the only manufacturer of iso's in the USA.
There are probably 4 resin manufacturers that sell most of the core resins to all the paint companies in the part of the market.
A lot of the companies buy their urethane reducers from one big supplier because thats all they do and its cheaper for them to mix it and send in tote or rail car than to make it your self.
The real difference is how much profit do you want to make/
Do you pay $1 a pound for an ISO or $14.? There are many options that you can stuff into a gallon and net cost has a lot to do with quality.
The majors premium lines all seem to be based on a 5 year life, now that does not mean it won't last 20 years depends on how car is treated. But they design everything for the Chevy dealer as thats where the dollars are for there business. Could they do better? sure but if you think the cost is bad now, holly cow.
I just in last week had a major call me about a primer I made 4 months ago, he could not figure out the resin in it and sales wanted it, I told him and his response was we would have to get $400+ a gallon if we copied it. I get $103. He said marketing is not going to like this answer.
To me I just want everything to be the best, so guess I never will be a major!