bare metal body - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

bare metal body

I may be getting my old 40 chevy tudor back , the car is now soda blasted, and in bare metal everywhere except the floors and under the car which is POR15'd. my question-
Now what??? wash w a good soap and air blow dry I get. wipe down w a grease/oil remover a given. but next? primer/filler? epoxy primer sealer? plain primer surfacer? The car will not get a final color for sometime and then in plain old red enamel w hardener (I have it already , inside in a temp controlled room for about a year now) It (the car) will not be in a temp controlled garage + so will be exposed to condensation and moisture periodically from season to season. I have delt w cars left to weather after sandblasting and NEVER want to again.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i would epoxy it but i have had no luck with the soda blast thing. i suggest washing it as many times as possible to get rid of that crap. i no longer attempt it if it's been soda blasted. pay close attention to overlaps and such . that is where it will bubble up on you. good luck with it .
Old 09-03-2008, 04:19 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If it had been blasted withanything EXCEPT SODA, I would say to apply epoxy primer. With SODA BLASTING, I don't know what you should do, as people have been advising not to SODA blast for sometime now, due to problems from it.

Aaron
Old 09-03-2008, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

it was definately soda blasted
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgas
it was definately soda blasted
From what I've read after researching for my own vehicle (decided not to soda blast): before you put ANY liquid or cleanser on it, blow out every last molecule of soda residue that you possibly can. Blow it out with dry compressed air, get into every seam, joint, nook and cranny as best as you can. Soda absorbs moisture and will promote rust. So get rid of that nasty stuff before putting any water/cleanser on it. Once you're confident that it's all gone and the metal prepped (degreased and roughed up with 80-grit), shoot it with a high quality epoxy primer, and make sure it's compatible with whatever top coats you plan to use. Otherwise, you'll have a big mess to deal with. Hope this helps.

I'm not a pro, but I've read a ton of material about soda and metal prepping to get ready for my own adventure! I'm sure the pro's here can expand on this topic/correct me if I gave any bad advice.

Antny
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

Wash all the metal with a mixture of water 25 % and vinegar 75%. No soap or other additives. Dry it immediately with compressed air.

If at all possible, wash it one piece at a time and rinse immediately with rubbing alcoho and water 50/50 mix.

Wipe down with soft cotton or absorbant cloth immediately to prevent surface rust.

Get some epoxy on it as soon as possible.

If it had been sand blasted, you could have just blown all the left over sand off, wipe with water/alcohol mix to remove any grease/oil and then spray on a good seal coat of epoxy.

Frank
Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Frank, I agree but had to add some:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countilaw
Wash all the metal with a mixture of water 25 % and vinegar 75%. No soap or other additives. Dry it immediately with compressed air.

If at all possible, wash it one piece at a time and rinse immediately with rubbing alcoho and water 50/50 mix.
The 50/50 mix works well and will help you get it dried much faster and create less rust

Wipe down with soft cotton or absorbant cloth immediately to prevent surface rust.

Get some epoxy on it as soon as possible.
You should really sand the metal with 80 grit or go over it with a 3M clean-n-strip disc to give it some texture for the epoxy to adhere to. Definately use epoxy

If it had been sand blasted, you could have just blown all the left over sand off, wipe with water/alcohol mix to remove any grease/oil and then spray on a good seal coat of epoxy.

Frank
And you should also consult your soda blaster people and get their recomendations on how to remove and nuetralize the remaining soda film. Also discuss the prep proceedure with the primer manufacturer. Soda blasted surfaces have really created a lot of paint problems for many, so the prep work needs to be done right or there's going to be some serious adhesion problems down the road. I don't have anything soda blasted. I had one decklid done a few years ago as a test and wasn't impressed, I did the water/vinegar/rinse follwed by waterborne wax and grease remover and a good sanding and never seen any problems-but the thoughts of what that stuff can do if left in the seams under the wrong conditions....
Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

I agree with you Bob. Soda blasting is not the god send that a lot of people think it is.

Frank
Old 09-04-2008, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Yikes! None of this sounds good. I know I will never use soda myself now.
It needs something put on it, so I'll get on it right away. Question - Epoxy, Is the stuff sandable? Is it a etching primer, surfacer or sealer that is primed over or all the above??? Standard charcoal filtered mask ok? I have finish painted but not remotely proffessonal or recent ,like 20 years ago (other than chassis work). So any info I knew is at least that old. A LOT of changes since then.
One more? I plan to go over the car w a DA B4 priming. What is a good grit paper to prep/smooth the surface?

Last edited by Dgas; 09-04-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.