Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bare metal finishes
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I've done a few tests of my own and really pushed the limits of SPI before I was ready to recomend it ...One test was leaving 36 scratches in my filler and using 8 coats of epoxy primer to fill them (it took a whole week to cure) before it could be sanded,the scratches sanded right out never to be seen again its been over five yrs and un painted exposed to the elimates and everything ,no problems at all...
then Barry and I (and a few other pro's) had a disagreement on my use of ospho as a metal prep( he dont like using it) I've been using it for over 30 yrs and wont do a resto without it.so I did two panels ,one bare steel and primed and one treated my way with ospho and then did some adheasion tests with duct tape and using a razor blade cut into the primer to the metal making little 1/4"squares then the duct tape ...then I sanded them both down to the metal to see just how well they feathered...I couldnt find any differences in the two panels both passed every test....However when I cleaned up my yard two yrs later I found that old hood and found the surface of the side I didnt treat was starting to rust where it was previously rusted under the primer and the side I treated was not....Now I'm even more dedicated to the Ospho than ever also SPI epoxy.my two favorite products ever...