Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Bare metal finishes
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Good information guys. As I have mentioned on another thread I am repairing 2 doors with bare metal adhesion issues (bubbles)after 5 years. They were epoxied with PPG DPLF on bare steel after using RustMort. The metal is very shiney and appears to have needed to be sanded better with 80 grit and/or the acid neutralized better. It is odd that they held up well for 3 or 4 years and started to fail badly in the last year.

The tests you guys have done and the follow up information is very much appreciated.

John L
Yes John, one of the joys of having been in a position to rep products for different manufacturer's is that when a new product came out, we got to run it through it's paces and try and push it to the ultimate limits...I think I learned more by doing this than studying the tech sheets because anytime a shop had a failure with regards to product, they did it by the book every time...LOL... and you wouldn't believe how often I saw "product failure" up and above any torture test I could have thought of. If I knew how far a product would go without failing, it gave me a better idea of how badly some products had been abused. It also gave me an indication of the versatility of a product.

The fact that you didn't notice a problem until 5 years after the vehicle had been painted, considering the product that was used (rustmort) and the adhesion issue being in part mechanical (metal to shiny) speaks volumes for Epoxy primer.

Before I tried SPI Epoxy I made sure I kept an open mind. So far I am impressed and look forward to trying the base coat and clear.

Ray