Bare steel, epoxy prime ,bondo,time frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bare steel, epoxy prime ,bondo,time frame

If I put epoxy(spi)on bare steel do I need to start the body work in a certian time frame after that? I'm finally getting to start the body work on my nova project and don't want to mess it up right off the bat.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM

you should be fine,just scuff the epoxy with scotchbrite,put lots on so you dont break through.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

No particular time frame to do the finish is necessary.. Lots of us use the epoxy primer to protect the metal from rusting and store the parts until we need to use them..Main thing is to get it on to stop any further rust..The 7 day window on SPI applies if you are carrying on with body and paint..If you have to wait to get the body work done..(like most of us in real time) scuff the epoxy before shooting more paint or applying any bondo..I usually scuff with 120 or 180 as part of my initial blocking..Then if I have to do any more metal work I do that...Main thing about doing it this way is that you only derust once..

An SPI user

Sam
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info.I'll scuff the epoxy before I use any filler.When I'm at the sanding of the filler stage what should I do if I sand through to the metal in some spots? Feather in out and spray more epoxy over everything?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Exactly, more than likely you're going to break through the epoxy around the perimeter of your fill areas. The trick to doing this without much hassle and chance of having to reprime between filler applications is to make sure you apply more filler than is needed, shape with 80 untill close then switch to 180.

Another option that works really well for those projects than need alot of filling, skimming, etc.. is to apply two coats of epoxy primer then allow it to lock up good overnight, the next day shoot 2-3 coats of polyester primer. Now you've got a surface that can be rough blocked and any remaining low spots can be filled with filler or a polyester glaze, and the thickness provided will help protect that epoxy primer during the blocking stages. It saves time on some of the bigger projects.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.