Barn find. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 05:48 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Barn find.

I was driving up Hwy 290 heading towards Grimes County. My girls dad has a 25 acre piece of land up there. I took the turn off and headed towards the road that I thought lead to the place. It didn't take me long to realize that I didn't recognize any of the scenery. I was lost and lost good. I tried to use my cell phone, but the signal was too weak. Right about then, I also noticed that I really should have gotten gas before I headed out. As I puttered to a stop, the curse words began to flow with ease.

Well, lucky I had a gas can. I began to walk. Hoping that someone would come along and either give me a little gas or maybe even take me to a phone. As I made a bend in the road, I spotted a little farmhouse. An old guy was sitting out front. I approached him and told him of my predicament. After listening to 45 minutes of stories about running out of gas and WWII, he told me he didn't drive anymore and that his son brings him groceries and such. Then he rather offhandedly told me his old car was in the garage and it might have some gas. So, I followed him to the garage. The weeds had grown almost 2 feet tall! Well, we got to the garage and we finally eased the door open. There parked on 3 cinder blocks and a tree stump was a '32 roadster! Almost half an inch of dust covered the faded blue paint, but it was all there! Just like out of an old movie. I asked the guy if he would ever consider selling it. I knew he was either going to say no or mention some crazy number with 4 zeros. He responded with, "Heck no! But I'll pay you $100 dollars to tow it out of here. I need the space for a new tractor." I fell back on my butt and ....... woke up in bed.

So, does anyone have any REAL barn find stories?

Oh, my story was from a Porsche ad from the late 70's.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzz
You had me crying right up to the end then I realized what you were doing was telling a story, man that would be nice I have no lucky find stories and have been everywhere that would sure be nice to happen

30dee
Old 01-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The closest I ever came was back in '80. I had saved up some money and was looking for a nice car. I answered an ad for a '66 Mustang that was for sale $2,500 or best offer. So, I drive to the guys house and when I pull up, there's a cheery red '66 convertible sitting in the drive way! Factory air, 289, 4 bbl, Pony interior! I was shaking while I rang the door bell. The guy comes out and asks if I'm there to look at the Mustang. I was like, "NO! I'll take it!" The guy started laughing and finally told me that the Mustang that was for sale was around back. It was a '66 coupe. It was in good shape and I bought it. But I sure as hell wish it had been the convertible.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Ford Man to the bone!!!

Last photo:

I worked for GTE as a residential phone tech back in the late 70's and was always running across old cars in back yards, barns and fields. I'd tell my buddies about the cars and word would get around. Last I heard I was responsible for saving a 31 Dodge coupe, 33 Ford sedan, 56 Crown Vicky, 57 Ranchero, 57 retractable HT and a 31 channeled 5 window Ford. I reported a lot more, so I hope these are just a few of those that got saved. Now those were the days, plenty of old steel left just sitting around.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 PM

i know where there is an old 51 ford custom with new interior, an old v8 flattie, and black primer all around

also i know of an 427 bbc complete = 400 bucks

where i live at, cars come easy!

i also know where there is a red 40 ford coupe, but the man wont budge

they once had a 70 chevy malibu wit big block restored-around 8k

also 81 camaro (2nd gen) race car (runs in 10s wit out juice) 8k

another bbc chevelle (race car we ,at the shop, our finishing up) 8k

454bbc ho crate motor 4k

the only thing is i dont have no money

Last edited by mynuffinfutsitch; 01-19-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last journal entry: More
Last photo:

There is a fellow over in Lynden that is about 15minutes from me where I buy my hay from . In his hayloft underneath a tarp I found one of the original FORD horse drawn buggies.. This baby is mint! And what is really cute about it is that it has the Ford oval on it but the oval and blue looks nothing like what it does today .... ............... Since I have race horses and hooking them to harness would be no big deal I have begged this ole fart to sell her to me .......... He just keeps sayin "some day hes gonna fixer up !" I have tried on several occasions to get him to sell but he is still a no go !

He has an old indian motocycle up in the rafters too with a suicide shifter on it .. I guess hes gonna fix that when he does the buggy

Pup
Old 01-20-2007, 01:04 AM

I have never heard of any Ford horse drawn vehicles, buggy, conestoga wagon or otherwise. Either, and likely, this is a horse drawn buggy made by a fellow from Canada or perhaps even England or the US earlier than Henry Ford's entrance into automobiles.
The Ford Script oval with the blue background was not seen on Ford vehicles until the 1929 Model A Fords were introduced. Earlier vehicles had the Ford script stamped into radiator shells or tanks but there were no external or internal removeable emblems.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:12 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

OK, here's mine. I was a junior in high school and wanted to get a different car than my 66 mustang. I found two cars to choose from...a 1972 impala convertible with a 400, and really red, or the 58 corvette. It was a no brainer for me I choose the convertible cause it sat more than two people, They both were for sale for $3800. This was 1977 and that was a ton of money for a school boy. Ok I should have bought the corvette, but God was probably looking after me. Fast forward to last year, I am at a car show with my daughter and there sits an impala just like mine..exactly. I talk to the owner and he asks if I still have the impala. I told him no and he said too bad cause there are only 11 known of that model with the 400 engine and they are worth some money now.

Live and learn. If I had to do it all over again I would have kept the mustang and the two other cars!
Old 01-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Bare Knuckles Champ

Last journal entry: Made a wrench...
Last photo:

A business associate of mine mentioned one day, when he found out my new occupation, that he had a 1903 Maxwell in his barn in western Mass.

Says the local Chevy dealer offered his dad a new car to drive every year for the rest of his life for it. That's what peaked his interest.

A little internet research and a few phone calls to experts and I found out that Maxwells weren't sold until 1904, although 2 are known to have been produced in '03 as 'test dummies'.

I'll be rolling it into the shop in '08.

If it is what he says and is in the condition he says, you'll see it at Barrett Jackson around the turn of the decade...
Old 01-20-2007, 01:18 AM

I was priveleged some 30 years ago to go into a garage in Baytown TX and inspect an genuine 1 family-owner 1911-12 Model T roadster. The car had not been used since a parade in Baytown in the early 50s. It was in amazingly good condition and still had the original leather interior (unfortunately a family dog had chewed up the back cushion top roll during a unauthorized investigation of the garage) and top still folded down and strapped in place. The car was not for sale but had to be moved since the property had been sold. The funny thing was the garage had settled about 9 inches into the yard and they were going to have to do some serious earth removal to get the doors open. I had to squeeze in between the doors by tweaking them apart.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:06 PM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last journal entry: More
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod
I have never heard of any Ford horse drawn vehicles, buggy, conestoga wagon or otherwise. Either, and likely, this is a horse drawn buggy made by a fellow from Canada or perhaps even England or the US earlier than Henry Ford's entrance into automobiles.
The Ford Script oval with the blue background was not seen on Ford vehicles until the 1929 Model A Fords were introduced. Earlier vehicles had the Ford script stamped into radiator shells or tanks but there were no external or internal removeable emblems.
I will try my darndest to get a pic of that and put it on for ya ... Id love to know what it is if its not ..

Pup
Old 01-20-2007, 05:22 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

the only thing you left out of the dream, is the farmer daughter that looks like a movie star
Old 01-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

barn find

I work with a young fellow who mentioned he had some old junk vehicles up in his woods. I went out an took my camera, he has a 1928 wippit chassis,many 20's & 30's ford chassis,motors,axles,a 1947 studebaker pickup,a 1930 chevrolet truck,and when I went down to the barn there is a 1920 ford pickup, 1916 buick coupe,more rolling ford chassis from the late 20's. I bought the 30 chevy for $200 and got the stud pickup for hauling it away. the batteries died in my camera before I got to many pics but some are on here under nissan. more stories & pics.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
OK, here's mine. I was a junior in high school and wanted to get a different car than my 66 mustang. I found two cars to choose from...a 1972 impala convertible with a 400, and really red, or the 58 corvette. It was a no brainer for me I choose the convertible cause it sat more than two people, They both were for sale for $3800. This was 1977 and that was a ton of money for a school boy. Ok I should have bought the corvette, but God was probably looking after me. Fast forward to last year, I am at a car show with my daughter and there sits an impala just like mine..exactly. I talk to the owner and he asks if I still have the impala. I told him no and he said too bad cause there are only 11 known of that model with the 400 engine and they are worth some money now.

Live and learn. If I had to do it all over again I would have kept the mustang and the two other cars!

hahaha 3800 dollars is still alot for a "school boy"
i wish i had that
Old 01-21-2007, 02:05 PM
the future of hotrodding

Last photo:

im waiting till spring to go dig out the 61 a100 pickup from the barn around the corner

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.