Barn find...with a catch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Barn find...with a catch

in a barn just above my house is an old Vega...not the coolest car ever but still kinda interesting in its own way, maybe with a v8 swap. the car, which is in great shape, very little rust, from what we can tell was given to a friend of mine on the condition that he get it out of the barn...heres where the catch comes in. it has fallen through floor . i walked into this barn tonight flash light in hand thinking...where is it. well, as i walked to the back i saw 2 headlights poking up above the floor...and the rest of the car behind them at a pretty severe angle. the entire floor under the car has collapsed but remained in one piece. the floor around what has fallen in is strewn with junk but appears to be solid. so the plan is to get a chain hoist, sling it over a main beam, lift the front up and get some planks under it, then drag it out, either with a tractor or the winch we have on the trailer (i cast my vote for the winch but its his decision). I don't have any pictures because it was dark and i didn't bother bringing the camera, but i'm certainly going to get some. what do you guys think, worth the effort for a Vega? I'll try to get pictures soon.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

sure! its worth it for the adventure alone!
just be careful. It's all fun-n-games till somebody losses an eye.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

barn find...with a catch

Yeah... I'd drag it out! Factory v-8 mounts, pan&oil pump, some headers and your ready to go. If you want to get tricky...Maverick rear with two pf the short axles....great little (whisper) street racer err rocket

Youngster
Old 12-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

Had a '72 vega GT back in the day. Perfect car for a V-8. DEFINITELY beef up the drive line. See if it's got that useless hatchback, perfect area for tubbing for some nice fatties!!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:

I like the way you think 79C10, just doing it will be fun. great story to tell when I'm done. As long as it dosen't start..."guess how i lost this finger".

on that note, not to worry. even though I'm just a young buck...i've spent a few year dragging logs out of the woods with a cable Skidder (basicly an articulated tractor with 12 ton winch), working on and operating all manor of heavy equipment, throwing pipe around on a drilling rig and all sorts of dangerous activities that have taught me just how important it is too keep safety your number one priority.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Make sure you have a camera on hand when you pull it out. Mainly so we can see....but they may also need it for the inquest....................

Budget RVs
Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

A friend of mine was building a '74 427 chevy powered Vega..Full tube frame and roll cage, tubbed , 4 link, strut front end, all aluminum floorpan and wanted it to be street legal...Well it wasn't smog exempt up untill a few years ago, and in that time he lost interest and parked it somewhere.

Another friend of mine owned Reggie Jackson's pro-stock Vega for a while. That one was cool, at the time Byron owned it, it had a 454 and narrowed dana70 rear end, all tubbed and tube frame.

I can't find any pics of that car on the 'net. it was yellow and had the "Reggiebar" logo on it's door.

There are a few companies making v-8 conversion kits for those veg-a matics...IIRC you don't have to do much to the sheetmetal or front ends to fit one in...

I drove a stock 74 wagon around for a while....what a giant POS, IIRC the motors in them were prone to crack either the heads or block..I can't remember which.

Watch out you guys don't pull the barn down on top of you.

Have fun.

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 12-04-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Good luck on the extraction.

Here's something to consider for a decent running street car that would still get good mileage, how about a 3.4 or 3.8 V-6 and trans out of a mid to late 90's Camaro? Light weight, easy to find and relatively cheap in the wrecking yards, easy to get parts for, decent aftermarket for both motors if you wanted to breathe on them a little bit, easy 14 second 1/4's and MPG in the upper 20's and DEFINITELY different, plus it would handle a whole lot better than a V-8. A friend of mine has a mid 90's Camaro with a 3.4 auto that he let his girlfriend run at the strip, bone stock it ran 16.0's. Not fast but not bad all things considered, some of the so called musclecars back in the day were only in the mid-15's stock. A Vega is a few hundred pounds lighter, put a free flowing exhaust on it, cold air induction, a chip, different injectors, etc. and 13's are not out of the question.......... OR how about a turbo or blower?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:12 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
I drove a stock 74 wagon around for a while....what a giant POS, IIRC the motors in them were prone to crack either the heads or block..I can't remember which.

Watch out you guys don't pull the barn down on top of you.

Have fun.

Mikey
What they were prone to was...........the iron cylinders would drop down into the aluminum block, causing the head not to seal properly......I remember fixing my sisters by taking a huge bastard file across the top of the block to even them up....worked for a while.

Budget RVs
Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Early or late Vega? I don't remember the split but the early ones are really cool looking, like a split nose Camero's little brother. Later ones with that cheese grater grille are not so cool looking.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:00 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Wasn't there also an issue of using some type from Silicone in the bores and the overheating would cause the bores to score (from the Silicone seperating from the parent Metal)?

I've always wanted a Big Block Vega-had a friend who had a 427 in a Vega Wagon-it sure did move-
Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Drop a cummins 4bt in it
Shane
Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:

Maybe it has a Cosworth DOHC in it. That would be a good barn find.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Wasn't there also an issue of using some type from Silicone in the bores and the overheating would cause the bores to score (from the Silicone seperating from the parent Metal)?
My sister had one that gave up the ghost and I remember my old man saying thats what happened. I thought I was a cool car and want to keep it for myself, but I was only about 10 at the time.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Last photo:

The Vega engine had aluminum cylinders that were embedded with silicone. The cylinders were free floating at the deck/head juncture and were attached to the block at the bottom only. When the engine overheated the cylinders dropped enough to blow a head gasket. I was a Chevy dealership general mechanic from 1973 to about 1976. Chevy extended the warranty on the Vega because of the engine problems. People were literally dragging the Vegas in that had been sitting in their back yards. Chevy paid about 9 hours to install a fitted block ( bare block with pistons). I did so many of them I was literally dreaming about doing them in my sleep. It got so bad I quit and went to work at the local Ford dealership.

Vince

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.