Barry Grant carbs - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 57
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Like everything else, you hear about the few people who had problems and don't hear anything from the many more people that are happy with the product.

For every person that has flamed BG products, there is a person that has flamed Holley. To do so without even trying the product is truly ludicrous!

I have had zero problems with my Speed Demon. I did my due diligence and did not slap a 750 cfm carb on my setup. I called BG first, told them my setup and they recommended the 650. No problems, no shavings in the carb, runs like a champ!

As far as Summit and other dealers, you need to be aware of manufacturers and dealers business dealings. We are not privy to these dealings but it has been covered in previous posts.
I Had problems worked thru them and it definately was worth the effort. You are right on the point! they ship out hundreds of carbs each day and just like the national news all you hear are the problems Barry Grant builds an awesome Carb and to the guy who said aftermarket carbs are like buying bottled water, possibly if you dip your drinking water from a mud hole compared to buying bottled water Technology does change otherwise any old manifold or distributor would do the same job Take my opinion or not! I got one, it is cool, and worth the money to have something different than the same old boring 4 bbl or dual quad but to each his own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Temecula, CA
Age: 69
Posts: 56
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Rockin' Daddy,

I am please to hear you have had no problems, problems sure can take the fun out of rodding...

I think BG probably has the 4 barrels sorted out much more than their Six Shooter, I spoke to several that had first hand negative experiences with this setup and to me for $2500 it should be perfect in any way and I am not talking about tuning.

Two dealers expressed to me dissatisfaction with BG support.

Bob C earlier in this thread said it best, "It doesn't matter if customer support is good or not. The point is, you shouldn't need it. Aftermarket carbs are a gimmick, like bottled water. It's hard to beat a Holley right out of the box. Everyone I know that bought BG carbs, have had to call customer support. That rarely happens with a Holley. "

I have been rodding most of my life and I have NEVER had to call a carb manufacturer for technical support...YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!

On my Holleys, Carters and Edelbrocks by simply purchasing a Street/Strip kit and doing a little minor mixture tuning for my applications was all it took to have a great performing system.

Where there is smoke there is usually fire and I am just not willing to pay $2500 to see if there is really fire behind all the smoke I have been hearing about. Each of us has the freedom to spend our money the way we wish, you have made your decision and I have made mine....I see no problem with either of our decisions.

For less than 1/2 the money of a BG Six Shooter I am purchasing a time proven system in the Edelbrock dual quads on the new manifold design with the new AVS technology which should make this setup work well on the street with the look I want. And, I doubt very much if I will have to call Customer Service to get them to run well.

BG Tech was very nice to me on this forum, but he sounds like he is the exception to the rule when working with Barry Grant's company.

Harley Monster

Last edited by Harley Monster; 08-09-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Monster
Cool Rockin' Daddy,

I think BG probably has the 4 barrels sorted out much more than their Six Shooter, I spoke to several that had first hand negative experiences with this setup and to me for $2500 it should be perfect in any way and I am not talking about tuning.

Two dealers expressed to me dissatisfaction with BG support.

Harley Monster
Please let us know who you're talking to who's having all of these problems. We definitely care about our customers, and their issues and if we can't talk to them there is no way to fix their problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 57
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Monster
Cool Rockin' Daddy,

I am please to hear you have had no problems, problems sure can take the fun out of rodding...

I think BG probably has the 4 barrels sorted out much more than their Six Shooter, I spoke to several that had first hand experience with the setup and to me for $2500 it should be perfect in any way and I am not talking about tuning.

Bob C earlier in this thread said it best, "It doesn't matter if customer support is good or not. The point is, you shouldn't need it. Aftermarket carbs are a gimmick, like bottled water. It's hard to beat a Holley right out of the box. Everyone I know that bought BG carbs, have had to call customer support. That rarely happens with a Holley. "

I have been rodding most of my life and I have NEVER had to call a carb manufacturer for technical support...YOU SHOULD HAVE TO!

On my Holleys, Carters and Edelbrocks simply purchasing a Street/Strip kit and doing a little minor mixture tuning for my applications was all it took.

Where there is smoke there is usually fire and I am just not willing to pay $2500 to see if there is really fire behind all the smoke I have been hearing about. Each of us has the freedom to spend our money the way we wish, you have made your decision and I have made mine....I see no problem with either of our decisions.

For less than 1/2 the money of a BG Six Shooter I am purchasing a time proven system witht the Edelbrock dual quads with the new AVS technology which should make this setup work well on the street with the look I want. And, I doubt I will have to call Customer Service to get them to run well.

BG Tech was very nice to me on this forum, but he sounds like he is the exception to the rule when working with Barry Grant's company.

Harley Monster
While I agree with most of what you say just remember to be the first kid on the block is not always easy all the testing in the world pales in comparison to putting a new product in the hands of the street rodder that is where the R&D begins! I like something different so my rod stands out in the sea of red, blue and green that is why the $2300 is worth it to be one of the first . I respect you for taking the same old safe way just please respect those of us who chose to be some of the first and end up with something different and exceptional. I think you should have called Barry Grant directly and spoken with their tech department communications thru Email are marginal at best emotion can be misconstrued easily. Please don't judge a company until you have had personal experience with them again all you hear about are the problems and many of those are likely due to lack of end user skill or other issues not actually due to the product. Good luck with your quads hope it gets you all you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM
cool rockin daddy's Avatar
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: wherever cool cars are
Posts: 1,535
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Harley,
It's your car and you can and should do whatever you want to it. Dealer disatisfaction should NOT influence your decision with a product. Because they have an axe to grind doesn't mean that you will.

Never needing customer service? C'mon! Unless you built it yourself, there will always be a need for customer service to get information, instructions, how to find replacement parts, find dealers, etc.

From Tech@BG's responses, BG did try to comunicate with you and you chose to believe somebody else. That is your perogative but it doesn't make much sense to me. Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Temecula, CA
Age: 69
Posts: 56
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not A T 25, Cool Rockin Daddy and BG Tech,

I did contact BG by phone and exchanged emails with BG Tech and I must say they said, "all the right things." However, what turned me away from BG is speaking with actual BG customers and dealers and seeing their frustrations in dealing with BG when they had problems.

Not A T 25, what decisions you make when building your car has no bearing on the respect that I would have for you or anyone else. These cars are very personal items and I know a great deal of thought goes into every decision that is made on any one of them. I enjoy seeing people doing things a bit different and I never criticize another person's car because I know they are having fun with it and that is what matters the most.

I simply am not willing to take the risk of spending $2500 for something I have seen first hand others have problems with provided by a company that did not meet their expectations when they had a problem.

The idea of a forum such as this is to share information, I simply was sharing what I found out and to hopefully get others to go into their decisions with their eyes open. No company can please everyone, but when you hear more negative than positive it is a warning sign.

BG Tech, I do thank you for your support but I think BG definitely needs to clean up their act because there are a lot of people out here are not happy with BG's service. I will not post your dealer's names here because I don't think it is my right to interfer in your relations with these dealers, that is BG's job to figure this out. All I can say is that they are not happy with BG so there must be a reason. Perhaps BG should do an anonymous survey of their dealers and find out for yourself where you have been dropping the ball...if your dealers are not happy how do you expect their customers to be happy.

Harley Monster

Last edited by Harley Monster; 08-09-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 57
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Monster
Not A T 25, Cool Rockin Daddy and BG Tech,

I did contact BG by phone and exchanged emails with BG Tech and I must say they said, "all the right things." However, what turned me away from BG is speaking with actual BG customers and dealers and seeing their frustrations in dealing with BG when they had problems.

Not A T 25, what decisions you make when building your car has no bearing on the respect that I would have for you or anyone else. These cars are very personal items and I know a great deal of thought goes into every decision that is made on any one of them. I enjoy seeing people doing things a bit different and I never criticize another person's car because I know they are having fun with it and that is what matters the most.

I simply am not willing to take the risk of spending $2500 for something I have seen first hand others have problems with provided by a company that did not meet their expectations when they had a problem.

The idea of a forum such as this is to share information, I simply was sharing what I found out and to hopefully get others to go into their decisions with their eyes open. No company can please everyone, but when you hear more negative than positive it is a warning sign.

BG Tech, I do thank you for your support but I think BG definitely needs to clean up their act because there are a lot of people out here are not happy with BG's service. I will not post your dealer's names here because I don't think it is my right to interfer in your relations with these dealers, that is BG's job to figure this out. All I can say is that they are not happy with BG so there must be a reason. Perhaps BG should do an anonymous survey of their dealers and find out for yourself where you have been dropping the ball...if your dealers are not happy how do you expect their customers to be happy.

Harley Monster
Harley Monster my only point is that every supplier has their quality issues look at the new car warranties for example. I just think you should look at the big picture not just your random sample of those you happen to come in contact with. It has been said over and over in this thread the bad is the only thing which gets publicized. I was posting actual results from a Six shooter install and operation you are posting hearsay from others you have met not knowing both sides of their story. I wish you had just not posted the negative unless you had first hand experience, there is to much he said she said here. I am telling you facts I had problems but they were taken care of promptly and I feel the system is well worth the cost. Please don't justify your decision not to spend the extra due to the limited research into the systems quality that you have done. You didn't post here to ask opinions first because I am one who has it and likes it. And if you have information about dissatisfied customers and vendors I agree you should not post it here but you do have some obligation to give that information to BG since you have made that accusation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 1,503
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Monster


BG Tech, I do thank you for your support but I think BG definitely needs to clean up their act because there are a lot of people out here are not happy with BG's service. I will not post your dealer's names here because I don't think it is my right to interfer in your relations with these dealers, that is BG's job to figure this out. All I can say is that they are not happy with BG so there must be a reason. Perhaps BG should do an anonymous survey of their dealers and find out for yourself where you have been dropping the ball...if your dealers are not happy how do you expect their customers to be happy.

Harley Monster
You are definitely welcome to your own opinion, and can choose to use any brand of products you choose on your engine. To make accusations without backing them up is kind of ludicrous. We stand behind our products, and are trying to do so even in this case however you won't tell us who is even having an issue. We can understand if you don't want to post it here, you can send a PM any time. Without knowing both sides of the story there is no way for an intelligent person to comment on what someone may or may not have actually said. If you've spoken with a few unhappy dealers, we'll be more than happy to put you in touch with a number of happy ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Temecula, CA
Age: 69
Posts: 56
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not A T,

You and I did exchange posts about your installation I know that youir problem was eventually remedied to your satisfaction...but remember you were not always satisifed with the service you were getting.

I HAVE done extensive research on the Six Shooter for over a couple months now, my last interview was with a guy that has the Six Shooter installed and has not been able to get the $2500 system to work properly even though these carbs having been gone through by two separate companies attempting to set them to factory specs but with no joy. One was done by a dyno tuner and the other by an authorized BG dealer.

I interviewed several dealers and heard the same story about lack of customer and dealer service by BG, one dealer went as far to tell me if I sell these to you you are on your own because I get no support from BG. (THAT was a confidence builder)

Other than plunking down $2500 I can not see how I could have received more "first hand reports." These were not hearsay interviews, they were with the people that have had the problems and with the people who have tried to fix them.

I have no problem with you running this set up, I told you it would not change my respect for you or anyone else running a BG setup. I am just not willing to pay top dollar when I have doubts that if I have a problem I will get the support I need.

I am glad you are happy and feel you made the best choice for you, but that should have no bearing on my decision. The reason I posted this was the sharing of information...if BG has this bad reputation amongst their dealers and customers it should be up to them to fix it, it is not my problem.

If this forum is only here only to post feel good messages then it is of little value, we should as a community share not only good experiences but bad ones too. I was simply posting the reasons that I will not be purchasing a BG system, and sharing the results of a couple months research so others might go into to their decision with their eyes open. Their decision will ultimately be their choice just like it was for you.

Harley Monster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Temecula, CA
Age: 69
Posts: 56
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BG Tech,

You said, "You are definitely welcome to your own opinion, and can choose to use any brand of products you choose on your engine. To make accusations without backing them up is kind of ludicrous."

I think you can verify your dealers content by making some random calls without identifying yourself as a BG rep...it would be very easy for you to do and you should not need my help. Point blank ask them about BG's Customer and Dealer Suppor, that is what I did and I am only reporting the results. I have no ax to grind with you or BG but BG's reputation proceeds them.

All I will say to you is that every dealer I talked to bad mouthed BG, the only one that didn't was an internet seller so I am taking my money someplace else and spending the left over $1,500 on my car.

Harley Monster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 57
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Monster
Not A T,

I HAVE done extensive research on the Six Shooter for over a couple months now, my last interview was with a guy that has the Six Shooter installed and has not been able to get the $2500 system to work properly even though these carbs having been gone through by two separate companies attempting to set them to factory specs but with no joy. One was done by a dyno tuner and the other by an authorized BG dealer.

Harley Monster
Harley Monster It sounds to me if all of these people worked on this gentleman's Six Shooter set up with no results the problem might just lie elsewhere in his motor such a vacuum leak etc. And if you make accusations against a company please have the guts to back it up with the details send a PM to Barry Grant how can they fix issues if they don't know they have them Duh I gave them very detailed descriptions and as far as vendors go I went thru Jegs and even talked with them personally and they told me they have very little problem with BG products and specifically the six shooter so looks like we have to agree to disagree just depends on who you ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 57
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just so you know what you are missing Sounds a little like you are trying to make yourself feel better about not getting what you really want
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	23275  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 01:16 PM
cool rockin daddy's Avatar
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: wherever cool cars are
Posts: 1,535
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I guess some people are leaders and some are followers. Too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Age: 67
Posts: 827
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
I've been watching this develop over a few days. I bought a 750 Vac Sec Speed Demon about 4 years ago, for my 383. About one year ago, I contacted BG Tech through this site and asked for tuning advice. He responded within a day or two with some simple inputs. I probably have the wrong carb ('cause I was foolish enough to NOT call BG before buying) and it's now, as I said, about 4 years old. But I do have absolute faith that between BG Tech, and my own skills, we'll get it running well enough once I get the motor fired. Like many of you here, I don't understand posting heresay without making it clear that it is heresay, and I don't understand defending heresay so vociferously. Lastly, I don't understand forcing a willing supplier and technical expert to go hunting for these supposedly dissatisfied distributors and customers. Are they so distrought they cannot face up to a contact from someone who can help in mitigating their issues? I know "25" was distreesed at one point, but he worked it through, Jeg's did the right thing, and now he's thrilled. Sometimes the stuff that gets shipped is the incorrect mix. Currently, I'm waiting for StreetRodStuff to send the correct radiator mounts for my new radiator. They forgot them. But, I know, when that radiator goes in, I'll be satisfied.

Just another opinion. . . . . .

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM
35WINDOW's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: utah
Age: 58
Posts: 1,365
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Well,

The fact that you have Tech@BG on this Forum should calm any fears as I like to think we have a corner on the Market (we have our own in-house Guru)! You won't have to deal with anyone but him, and, in my limited experience with him, he has been absolutely superb!

Thanks Tech@BG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Six Shooter disapointment Hope the Barry Grant guy is watching Not A T 25 Engine 78 10-01-2008 04:48 PM
Barry Grant carbs VS Holly Bad Rat Engine 3 01-04-2007 12:35 PM
which Barry Grant carb 1934chevycoupe Engine 3 11-20-2006 06:55 AM
holley to barry grant switch questions tvanlant Engine 4 10-18-2005 08:49 AM
Barry Grant Carbs 85Sierra Engine 3 06-20-2005 06:37 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.