Barry Grant carbs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 09:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Barry Grant carbs

For what its worth...

OK guys, I give in.

I am currently building a new SBC 383 for my '36 Ford Coupe nostalgia rod, I want stout street performance while maintaining the nostalgia look. I very seriously toyed with the idea of splurging on a Barry Grant Old School Six Shooter, I felt this manifold and carb would support the 400-450 HP I am designing into the engine and maintain the look I want.....

BUT....

It took me a while to justify to myself spending $2500 for a manifold and carb set up, but hey, it is my baby, I have had the car for a long time so I am not into it for very much, etc., etc. One thing that kept bugging me was trying to figure out how this setup was worth the money they were asking for it, but I justified it by saying they have a lot of R&D into it, they don't have any competition for a modern tri-power, etc.

Well, I tend to research things to death, but as a result I am always happy with my decisions. In my research, this forum included, I kept finding very unhappy customers of Barry Grant both on a CUSTOMER SUPPORT level and QUALITY CONTROL.

I always justified it by THINKING "those things happen, but I know a lot about carbs and engines and will be able to sort things out because I enjoy tinkering with things, and the tinkering is half the fun."

Well the crowning blow came yesterday...I ran across a '34 Tudor sedan, with a SBC and the BG Six Shooter running without its hood. I found the owner and we had a long discussion about the set up starting with "ARE YOU HAPPY WITH IT?" I got the classic "Do you want the truth?" I said "Of course!"

He went on to say that he has not be able to get them to work, had it dyno tuned at one facility then had a BG dealer take the carbs apart and set them to factory specs and he still can not get them to run well. They are in a constant state of rich and the float levels will not say set correctly. I am still thinking "I have had several multi-carbed engines and I have always been able to tune them..." BUT what REALLY TURNED ME OFF WAS HE SAID BARRY GRANT OFFERS TERRIBLE SUPPORT BOTH FOR HIM AND HIS DEALERS.

The dealer that "rebuilt" his carbs he said, "hates dealing with Barry Grant."

Not only that, in my attempts to find one of these units in stock someplace was nearly impossible. One dealer told me, I can get you one in about 3 weeks, BUT if you buy it through me you are on your own with Barry Grant. I asked why and he said "he gets TERRIBLE DEALER SUPPORT THROUGH BARRY GRANT."

I must say that I have not had any dealings personally with Barry Grant BUT everyone I have spoken to except BG Tech on this forum has bad mouthed Barry Grant. Well, when everyone is saying to me "Don't stick your finger in that light socket you will get shocked!", I am not about to stick my finger in that light socket.

ADIOS BARRY GRANT....If you have not taken care of your dealers and your customers you will not get your outrageous $2500 from me.

In case your wondering, I am going to go with the Edelbrock Dual Quad setup with the Air Gap manifold...I spoke to Edelbrock and they told me this manifold has the same port technology as their single four barrel manifolds and will support the HP of my engine where the early manifolds only support around 300-350 HP.

Just warning you, don't stick your finger in the BG light socket...

Harley Monster

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Monster
For what its worth...

OK guys, I give in.

I am currently building a new SBC 383 for my '36 Ford Coupe nostalgia rod, I want stout street performance while maintaining the nostalgia look.
I just can't resist a few comments about your post.

First of all; I really like '36 Ford Coupes. I have had two three windows many years ago.

Second, while a 383 SBC is a great choice for your power, there is nothing nostalgic about using a SBC. Think flathead Ford or Merc or even Cadillac or Olds for real nostalgia.

Running a tri-carb setup is great for looks, but always presented carb adjustment concerns. Personally, I do not think that the BG Six shooter gives the "look" or is worth the money.

Two fours on a low profile intake should give you the performance and "look" that you want.

As to kicking the BG products and/or customer support; I'd say it really isn't fair to do so if you've never attempted to use their product and/or their support system. I have, and am running a BG Road Demon. I do have a support issue pertaining to gas draining out of the bowls when the engine sits for a few days. I did get what I feel is good support from tech@BG on this site. Where things fell apart for me was that I was going to order the gasket set I need from JEG's. The gasket set is around $20. Jeg's wanted an additional $13 for handling (FREE shipping) and another $3 for delivery to a residential address. Now that's what I call BAD customer service. $16 to deliver a package that weighs a couple of ounces.

In the past I have used Edelbrock and Holley carbs. Edelbrock techs (or at least the ones I got on the phone) do not know up from down. I've never had to call the Holley folks.

Last edited by Frisco; 08-09-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM

Hey Frisco, I know what you mean about flat heads and other nostalgic engines...I love them, BUT I want power and reliability and a flat head can not provide either in my opinion...been there done that too, cooling was always a problem in my '40 Ford coupe.

One of my early experiences in hot rodding was in about '58 or '59 when my neighbor had a 283 SBC iwith dual quads in a black primered Forty Ford coupe, no hood, no bumper, raked, '39 LaSalle trans, no interior and it ran like a scalded ape...at least in '58 for a 14 year old. A true hot rod...

No I have not had personal experience with BG but from about a dozen others that have I have received the same consistant comments...Quality is marginal and Customer Service sucks.

I am not going to spend $2500 to find out for myself and BTW I agree with you, the Six Shooter still doesn't have the nostalgia look, but it is better than a 4 barrel which are like belly buttons...everyone has one.

Harley Monster
Old 08-08-2007, 10:54 AM
boatbob2

b.g. carb

-hi,i have a b.g. road demon on my 383 chevy,i love it,no problems after 2 years.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I have some second hand experience for what its worth. A friend had a BG carb that he was having issues with, he sent it back to BG twice and it still didnt work. He finally paid to have a local carb guy look at it and the local guy fixed the problem. He said something was never assembled properly at the factory, I dont remember exactly what but it had something to do with the secondary shooters and an allen head screw that was screwed in to far. Tends to make you believe they never even looked at it. I find it hard to believe a local guy can find a problem that a factory tech didnt.

The BG tech on here seems very helpful and knowledgeable about their products.
I have also seen some recent posts about quality improvements. Perhaps when some of the largest parts houses stopped selling there products it was a wakeup call.

I know Summit dropped them due to high returns and quality issues
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
I just can't resist a few comments about your post.

As to kicking the BG products and/or customer support; I'd say it really isn't fair to do so if you've never attempted to use their product and/or their support system. I have, and am running a BG Road Demon. I do have a support issue pertaining to gas draining out of the bowls when the engine sits for a few days. I did get what I feel is good support from BG@tech on this site. Where things fell apart for me was that I was going to order the gasket set I need from JEG's. The gasket set is around $20. Jeg's wanted an additional $13 for handling (FREE shipping) and another $3 for delivery to a residential address. Now that's what I call BAD customer service. $16 to deliver a package that weighs a couple of ounces.

As you say ''just can't resist a few comments about your post.'' I know that sticking my finger in a light socket is bad for my health, I have been told. So I do not think I will stick my finger in a light socket to find out. The more I read about this guy BG the less I would be inclined to purchase product from him, Summit DROPPED the product line, what do you think about that one? The fact that you have a product that actually works from that company says absolutely nothing about the quality of the product. Any company can make a mistake and in your case you happen to get a street product that works, just glad to here they have at least one working carb on the street............... not at all impressed with demon, I am with Harley monster and will be doing the 2x4 thing my self.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Thumbs Up to Barry Grant Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Monster
For what its worth...

OK guys, I give in.

I am currently building a new SBC 383 for my '36 Ford Coupe nostalgia rod, I want stout street performance while maintaining the nostalgia look. I very seriously toyed with the idea of splurging on a Barry Grant Old School Six Shooter, I felt this manifold and carb would support the 400-450 HP I am designing into the engine and maintain the look I want.....

BUT....

It took me a while to justify to myself spending $2500 for a manifold and carb set up, but hey, it is my baby, I have had the car for a long time so I am not into it for very much, etc., etc. One thing that kept bugging me was trying to figure out how this setup was worth the money they were asking for it, but I justified it by saying they have a lot of R&D into it, they don't have any competition for a modern tri-power, etc.

Well, I tend to research things to death, but as a result I am always happy with my decisions. In my research, this forum included, I kept finding very unhappy customers of Barry Grant both on a CUSTOMER SUPPORT level and QUALITY CONTROL.

I always justified it by THINKING "those things happen, but I know a lot about carbs and engines and will be able to sort things out because I enjoy tinkering with things, and the tinkering is half the fun."

Well the crowning blow came yesterday...I ran across a '34 Tudor sedan, with a SBC and the BG Six Shooter running without its hood. I found the owner and we had a long discussion about the set up starting with "ARE YOU HAPPY WITH IT?" I got the classic "Do you want the truth?" I said "Of course!"

He went on to say that he has not be able to get them to work, had it dyno tuned at one facility then had a BG dealer take the carbs apart and set them to factory specs and he still can not get them to run well. They are in a constant state of rich and the float levels will not say set correctly. I am still thinking "I have had several multi-carbed engines and I have always been able to tune them..." BUT what REALLY TURNED ME OFF WAS HE SAID BARRY GRANT OFFERS TERRIBLE SUPPORT BOTH FOR HIM AND HIS DEALERS.

The dealer that "rebuilt" his carbs he said, "hates dealing with Barry Grant."

Not only that, in my attempts to find one of these units in stock someplace was nearly impossible. One dealer told me, I can get you one in about 3 weeks, BUT if you buy it through me you are on your own with Barry Grant. I asked why and he said "he gets TERRIBLE DEALER SUPPORT THROUGH BARRY GRANT."

I must say that I have not had any dealings personally with Barry Grant BUT everyone I have spoken to except BG Tech on this forum has bad mouthed Barry Grant. Well, when everyone is saying to me "Don't stick your finger in that light socket you will get shocked!", I am not about to stick my finger in that light socket.

ADIOS BARRY GRANT....If you have not taken care of your dealers and your customers you will not get your outrageous $2500 from me.

In case your wondering, I am going to go with the Edelbrock Dual Quad setup with the Air Gap manifold...I spoke to Edelbrock and they told me this manifold has the same port technology as their single four barrel manifolds and will support the HP of my engine where the early manifolds only support around 300-350 HP.

Just warning you, don't stick your finger in the BG light socket...

Harley Monster
I have the Barry grant six shooter set up on my 383 and although I did have my issues in the start up the customer support was good and after the problems were resolved the results are fantastic I love the set up and the performance is awesome As far as availability Jegs stocks them and ships out same day so not sure where that came from. I tuned my own setup it was so easy only adjustments are idol, float level and fuel pressure couldn't get much simpler I have had three different tripower set ups and this is by far the best I have had. Even given my initial problems I love it. Just goes to show there are two sides to every story and even better there are now aftermarket air cleaners available which tells me the popularity is growing. Hey I love mine
Old 08-08-2007, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

It doesn't matter if customer support is good or not. The point is, you shouldn't need it. Aftermarket carbs are a gimmick, like bottled water. It's hard to beat a Holley right out of the box. Everyone I know that bought BG carbs, have had to call customer support. That rarely happens with a Holley.
I think I'm about to get jumped on, so give me a second to get under the table!!! OK I'm ready.
Bob
Old 08-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C
It doesn't matter if customer support is good or not. The point is, you shouldn't need it. Aftermarket carbs are a gimmick, like bottled water. It's hard to beat a Holley right out of the box. Everyone I know that bought BG carbs, have had to call customer support. That rarely happens with a Holley.
I think I'm about to get jumped on, so give me a second to get under the table!!! OK I'm ready.
Bob
Na Bob I can't jump on you I feel and felt the same way but seems like most everything we buy now is a disappointment in some way and no we shouldn't need the customer support but I wanted the Six Shooter and so I stuck with it until I got it all resolved and I am very happy now that I did. Like the poster said it was my baby and that is what I wanted for her! But as far as Holleys go you will I am sure find an equal number of people that would not have one I can't say that since the BG Six shooter and the Holley share most components Hmm much like a Holley??? Just better I think. I was told in my problem post about my six shooter that I wasn't a hot rodder if I expected it to bolt on with no problems I still disagree with that but none the less I am Now pleased I stuck it out my stroker now runs like a striped as#$ Ape
Old 08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Harley Monster,

Sorry you feel that, and sorry that you feel all of the emails we sent back and forth weren't good customer service. Unfortunately the distributor you deal with Speedway doesn't do any special orders, so we gave you the phone number of a dealer that actually had the system you were looking for in stock.

If we can help you in the future please let us know, good luck with your Edelbrock system hope it gives you what you're looking for.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Harley Monster,

Sorry you feel that, and sorry that you feel all of the emails we sent back and forth weren't good customer service. Unfortunately the distributor you deal with Speedway doesn't do any special orders, so we gave you the phone number of a dealer that actually had the system you were looking for in stock.

If we can help you in the future please let us know, good luck with your Edelbrock system hope it gives you what you're looking for.
BG Tech
I found out that sometimes a phone call is worth a thousand words (Emails) thanks for your help with my Six Shooter! Have you checked out the new air cleaners by O'Brien Truckers?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A T 25
BG Tech
I found out that sometimes a phone call is worth a thousand words (Emails) thanks for your help with my Six Shooter! Have you checked out the new air cleaners by O'Brien Truckers?
Yup, actually got a picture from Dennis this morning showing them. Not sure if you got the last couple of emails, been getting a bounce back saying that they weren't going through.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Yup, actually got a picture from Dennis this morning showing them. Not sure if you got the last couple of emails, been getting a bounce back saying that they weren't going through.
No I haven't I will send you an alternate Email
Old 08-08-2007, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

Barry Grant carbs

I replaced my old Holley last year with a BG Mighty Demon that I got from Jegs that the Tech @ BG guy recommended. I have been very pleased with it,this is the FIRST summer in 6 years that I havent had to tear a carb apart or continually adjust the idle or fix leaks.It starts easier and outperforms the old Holley.All it needed was an increase in jet size,took all of 5 minutes to do that.There was no debris or metal shavings in it,I checked before using it after hearing horror stories.So I guess I can safely say that I am a very satisified customer of Barry Grants and I wouldnt hesitate to use their products again.I also recommend them to anyone looking for a carb,and a couple of of my buddy's also are very satisified with the BG line of carbs.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:50 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Like everything else, you hear about the few people who had problems and don't hear anything from the many more people that are happy with the product.

For every person that has flamed BG products, there is a person that has flamed Holley. To do so without even trying the product is truly ludicrous!

I have had zero problems with my Speed Demon. I did my due diligence and did not slap a 750 cfm carb on my setup. I called BG first, told them my setup and they recommended the 650. No problems, no shavings in the carb, runs like a champ!

As far as Summit and other dealers, you need to be aware of manufacturers and dealers business dealings. We are not privy to these dealings but it has been covered in previous posts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.