Barry Grant Vintage Tri Power - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Barry Grant Vintage Tri Power

I purchased the Barry Grant vintage tri power set up for my Model A hot rod. engine is a 327 SBC with 7000 miles. Swap went OK, fired engine and RPM's went like it was on the way to wide open throttle, so I shut it off. I checked everything again (vacuum lines, retighted intake bolts, etc. All throttle linkage is where it should be) tried it again, same thing. Major RPM,s on start up. It has to be a big vacuum leak, but I don't know where it's coming from. Anyone have any ideas? I had a performer manifold on the engine before, had no issues with it. I have used SBC's in all the cars I've built, some engines with more than one carb but I've never had one that revved out like that on start up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Day
I purchased the Barry Grant vintage tri power set up for my Model A hot rod. engine is a 327 SBC with 7000 miles. Swap went OK, fired engine and RPM's went like it was on the way to wide open throttle, so I shut it off. I checked everything again (vacuum lines, retighted intake bolts, etc. All throttle linkage is where it should be) tried it again, same thing. Major RPM,s on start up. It has to be a big vacuum leak, but I don't know where it's coming from. Anyone have any ideas? I had a performer manifold on the engine before, had no issues with it. I have used SBC's in all the cars I've built, some engines with more than one carb but I've never had one that revved out like that on start up.
Even under a no load condition it cannot rev "like it was on the way to wide open throttle" on just air. It has to be getting gas also.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ak%2C_internal
Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Inspector, what you linked is good info, but in this case, there has to be fuel to go with the air to cause the runaway rev. I would tend to look to see which carb is malfunctioning first.

Trees
Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM

If you guys think it might be a fuel problem, I'm using a GM mechanical fuel pump, the floats are showing halfway in the sight gauges (Barry Grant spec). I'm not using a fuel pressure regulator, have one that I could install, will try it next. The setup I have is on Barry Grant.com (complete install instructios).
Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

The manual says,

"Won’t Idle Down Reset throttle plates, check idle-mixture screws, lower
float levels, check initial timing, check throttle linkage,
check for vacuum leaks"

and,

"Won’t Stay Running Below 1500 RPM Reset throttle plates, check idle-mixture screws, lower
float levels, check initial timing"
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Might want to check the manifold gasket, it may have slipped allowing air into the engine from the valley side.

Yea...its happened to me.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Day
You may need to close the butterflies on the outer carburetors if you have not already done so. On the baseplate there is a small black allen set screw to be able to achieve this. Try closing the outers completely and setting the idle speed with the center carburetor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.