Barry White/Wrecks to Riches - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Barry White/Wrecks to Riches

Whats happened? Love this show and Barrys work but his website hasn't been updated for quite a while, and there are only re-runs on D.Turbo...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There was a load of bashing on this guy and his show, some justified some just jealousy. I for one did not go for the lets make a turd look like a muscle car and make a million ...thang The show revolved around the profit made at the auction, and it really just fell on its a s s.

I just come down on the side of the coin that says a fake is a fake and apparently there are others out here that think the same way cause, I really never saw him make any real killings on his builds...

Justified some would say, tv promotes the fakers of this hobby , but that is TV fake, making it imposable for some to ever figure out what that have in the garage ... sad really
Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

What did it for me was his GTX show. Take a Satellite, hang some new sheet metal on it, stick a new engine in it and pass it off as a real GTX. Its one thing to build a clone but totally something else when you're not honest about it. The guy who purchased that car at auction had it up on e-bay a few months later.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

There was a thread about this while the show was still on the air. Personally I had no problems with what he was doing. He never implied that the cars were anything more than wrecks he was picking up and hot rodding.
Back in the day Yenko and others were doing basically the same thing, taking plane jane cars and throwing big blocks in them. They were dealer cars not factory cars. Yenko even started with the corvair.
Barry was doing more the ones he built because he was upgrading the suspensions as well.
As far as making a killing at auction he was doing it to make money. How is that different than what goes on at Barret/Jackson?
Kim
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM
1988 Dodge Dakota 318 Magnum

Last photo:

I don't even know what this is about and I'm getting angry.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM

I think his cars weren't pulling in what he expected. The few shows I saw, he seemed disappointed.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

There was a lot of contraversy about this show last year or so. Here is a rather lengthy thread about it. His daughter Becky even talked to a few people about the show Wrecks to Riches
Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57
................. How is that different than what goes on at Barret/Jackson?
Kim
There's a BIG difference. Every car at Barret-Jackson is authenticated. You buy a GTX at Barret-Jackson you can be sure its a REAL GTX. Barry tried to pass off the Satellite he built as a GTX. Pretty sleazy way to pick the pockets of his customers if you ask me. And the GTX show was only one example... there were more, like the Lemans he tried to pass off as a GTO.

Last edited by Centerline; 01-08-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
There was a thread about this while the show was still on the air. Personally I had no problems with what he was doing. He never implied that the cars were anything more than wrecks he was picking up and hot rodding.
Back in the day Yenko and others were doing basically the same thing, taking plane jane cars and throwing big blocks in them. They were dealer cars not factory cars. Yenko even started with the corvair.
Barry was doing more the ones he built because he was upgrading the suspensions as well.
As far as making a killing at auction he was doing it to make money. How is that different than what goes on at Barret/Jackson?
Kim
When Yenko took a factory car and modified it, it was badged as a Yenko. You KNEW what you were getting. What Barry White does is take a Lemans and tried to auction it off as a GTO. He took a Satellite and then takes it to auction as a GTX . You never heard him say at auction that he had a Lemans or Satellite. It was always GTO or GTX. Big difference in name and price to someone looking for one. He does do great work and puts a lot of time and money into the cars he does, but the biggest contraversy was with how he was going about making the money in the end.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Centerline/Kevin45

I watched all the wrecks to riches shows and I never got the impression he was passing anything off as something it wasn't. You can bet the bidders knew exactly what they were bidding on. His cars always had his SMC logo on them. If he was doing what you guys say it would be considered fraud and he would have been sued or in jail.
Sorry I don't see the big conspiracy here.
Kim
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Centerline/Kevin45

I watched all the wrecks to riches shows and I never got the impression he was passing anything off as something it wasn't. You can bet the bidders knew exactly what they were bidding on. His cars always had his SMC logo on them. If he was doing what you guys say it would be considered fraud and he would have been sued or in jail.
Sorry I don't see the big conspiracy here.
Kim
I agree with your post completely. I responded to the threads posted back when with the same comments. In fact I contacted Barry's shop and invited them to respond to the negative and half true comments being posted here, which they responded.
People knew what they were bidding on, he did not hide the origins of the cars.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
There's a BIG difference. Every car at Barret-Jackson is authenticated. You buy a GTX at Barret-Jackson you can be sure its a REAL GTX. Barry tried to pass off the Satellite he built as a GTX. Pretty sleazy way to pick the pockets of his customers if you ask me. And the GTX show was only one example... there were more, like the Lemans he tried to pass off as a GTO.
That is not true, there are several clones sold every year at BJ
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

i liked barrys show it was straight up. iam a shop owner who is building cars for money. the big thing i liked was he rescued cars that nobody else would have touched and gave them new life. i watched everyone and never saw him represent the car for anything it wasn't. i thought his rates were resonable and work looked first rate.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
That is not true, there are several clones sold every year at BJ
You're correct but the cars are billed and sold as clones. Going by what I saw on Barry's show they NEVER mentioned the cars were clones. When you take a Satellite and rebuild it as a GTX and then sell it that way... I call that dishonest. Now, they may have told the people at the auction that it was a clone but it was NEVER mentioned on any of his shows.

I do have to admit that on his SMC website he does have both the GTO and GTX listed as clones. However he also has the Plymouth Roadrunner they did listed as a "Dodge Roadrunner".

Last edited by Centerline; 01-08-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Sorry.. but I hate that show and him.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.