Bar's head gasket 100% bad - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Bar's head gasket 100% bad

Some people wonder if they should use Bar's Permanent Head Gasket Fix and the answer to this question is very simple: it will cause severe engine damage beyond repair and the overheated engine needs to be junk
If you have a car running but having coolant leaks, to add Bar's is the next step to be in big trouble
It happened to me and some other people that told me having the same experience

Do not test your good luck on it, you will lose big

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

you are starting a new thread that is 7 years old !!! WHY?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

cause he's mad that his prayer in a can didn't work....
shocking..
Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Mechanic in a can....
Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I have used it for several people who just didnt have the money to fix there car. The cars werent worth the repair either. It has worked well in most of those cases.
You cant stop niagara falls with it.
Claiming it is 100% not reliable suggests that the instructions werent followed correctly, but I could be wrong.
Nothing is 100% , but if it were truly that unreliable it wouldnt sell for all the years its been around.
K&W Nano seal works well too, for cars that ingest water (coolant) over a period of time, like a gallon a day for instance, but it wont seal a gusher either.
Proper use of said product requires that one has enough mechanical saavy to determine if the defect is not so severe that the product will or wont work. Like I said, it wont stop Niagara falls.
It is unfortunate that you had a poor experience with the product.
IIRC the 1-800 number on the can is for customer service, maybe you should call them and discuss your experience with them. I believe it also mentions a money back gaurantee. Just a Thought.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 PM

PERMANENT BAR'S HEAD GASKET FIX WILL TEST YOU IF YOU ARE A WINNER OR A LOSER
The quick answer to that is you will be a loser
Silicate based (glass) and other secret ingredients that will weld all the cooling system?
No coolant circulation and the next victim is the engine
Remember, some people are making money selling it and will tell you whatever they want to
If you have some money, go to the mechanic
Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

K&W block seal ( sodium Silicate ) has saved me a few times with cars that were not worth the repair. especially cars like the mid 90's Nissan dual cam 4cyls as they had timing chains and generally hard to work on, not to mention the cars have little value even in good condition... If you follow the directions to a T then it will either work, or it will not work and your back to where you started needing a head gasket... I have also torn apart engines that have had block seal added, some of them had some buildup in the cooling passages on the block and cylinder head but never smaller than the head gasket passage itself..

I have never used the Bars leak because I know the K&W works and I know how it works. It's also a little cheaper. Sodium Silicate as a HG fix predates automotive block sealers as it was used as block sealer long before they became commercially available. It is available at some pharmacies altho I think it's pharmaceutical uses are dwindling
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 AM

Last photo:

I agree with Matt 100%, I am NOT a fan of "can fixes". Fix them the right way. But I have seen KW block sealer work wonders.

Case in point, this was in the mid 70s at my shop in SF. A 60s olds came in with a cracked head. It was not worth fixing and an older mechanic I had hired from Ellis Brooks offered $200 bucks for the car, I thought he was nuts. He poured in a can of KW block sealer and let it run for 15 minutes, the steam stopped coming out of the tailpipes. He sold to some lady and we servuced that car for two years.

Even until today and since the 70s I use KW copper coat spray on head gaskets. Never ever had a head gasket fail ever. I keep 2 cans on my shelf in the garage. alumine heads, iron heads, Who cares.
The Following User Says Thank You to techron For This Useful Post:
Pantaz (05-16-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Its like that Slime stuff you put in your tires to stop a bead leak....Sometimes it works, sometimes not. You paid your money, took your chances and lost.

When it doesnt work, you dont join some car forum and spout off about it. That is just being a whiner....
Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

The Barr's with Kevlar stopped a head gasket leak in my wife's Olds Aurora Northstar.

Cadillac wanted $5K+ to fix, and the car is only worth ~$1,500 on the market, once fixed, even though it is like new with low miles.

I was putting water in it every 25 miles! The Barr's was $40 and the leak was instantly fixed. It's been a few thousand miles now and I've not added any water since the treatment. The car has had no re-percussions and the temp gauge sits where it always did before the treatment.

Was a no brainer for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to toddalin For This Useful Post:
Pantaz (05-16-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I've never been a fan of "Miracle in a can" products. I try to sell them in "nothing to lose" situations only.

That being said ... I was told that my Grand Prix trans was "on it's way out" in 2005. Changed the filter, added a can of "Lucas Trans Fix", and topped it up with fresh ATF ...

Now I make sure that it's in "Performace Shift" mode ... and (knock on wood) it's still hanging in there.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM

K&W With NonTechnology add it without draining the coolant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
K&W block seal ( sodium Silicate ) has saved me a few times with cars that were not worth the repair. especially cars like the mid 90's Nissan dual cam 4cyls as they had timing chains and generally hard to work on, not to mention the cars have little value even in good condition... If you follow the directions to a T then it will either work, or it will not work and your back to where you started needing a head gasket... I have also torn apart engines that have had block seal added, some of them had some buildup in the cooling passages on the block and cylinder head but never smaller than the head gasket passage itself..

I have never used the Bars leak because I know the K&W works and I know how it works. It's also a little cheaper. Sodium Silicate as a HG fix predates automotive block sealers as it was used as block sealer long before they became commercially available. It is available at some pharmacies altho I think it's pharmaceutical uses are dwindling

I used the magic Green Jug in my Caddy, after I purchased from a trickster and found it had a leaking head gasket. It started to give as I was driving it the 1st week, I noticed a small miss which got really bad and then smoke proceeded out of the tail pipe. I used the add to antifreeze one in the green bottle. Followed the directions ran is for 30 mins, shut it off, immediately drained the engine oil and replaced with new. Then drove the car for another 30,000 miles with no issues and eventually sold it to a buddy of mine and told him what happened and he still drives it 3 years later.

I also had a Nissan 300zx with a head gasket leaking out of the corner, i could literally see the coolant running out of the motor. I used the same thing, and it fixed it, no issues after that.

I haven;t used any other products so I can't vouch for them.

I totally agree in replacing the head gasket the correct way, but if you are in a tight spot, I vote for the green jug. That's just my $0.02
Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

Ive had a few GM 3100s and they love to leak coolant. Bar's stop leak and following the directions implicitly seems to at least slow it WAY down. That being said; most of my winter beaters are less than $3000 and driven in the salt and sub zero of upstate NY. If it dies, I throw it away and get a new one; but I understand that completely.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

In my town we still have a old school pharmacy that's been here since the
40's. A friend of mine, his mother gave him her old beat up Honda with around 300,000 miles on it. It had run hot and blew the head gasket. He got told by his cousin to get a can of sodium silicate and the only place that had it was that old school pharmacy. We poured it in and it sealed up nicely. He drove the wheels off that car for the next eight months. When the main bearings started to rattle he parked it. However during that eight months, it never ran hot and didn't lose any coolant. But as said, sometimes stuff works, sometimes it don't. Kinda reminds me of the old school tricks I'd heard they used to do back in the 50's. When a stick transmission or rear diff was worn out they would pour some sawdust in'em so they ran smooth as silk as the sawdust filled in the excessive clearances. I had heard many car lots did this to get the car off the lot.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 PM

DV

Is sodium silicate the same as "water glass"? 40-50 years ago, and more, my dad used water glass for radiator and/or water pump leaks. Seemed to work as a fair-term temporary fix.

PatM

Tags
bar's is bad, bar's products, engine, head gasket fix, overheat

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.