base/clear paint for underside of vehicle or other paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 07:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

base/clear paint for underside of vehicle or other paint?

I have a '73-'87 style chevy 4x4 pickup I'm attempting to fix up. Its been an ongoing project for many years. After getting painting quotes from local at home painters (only two, live in a small town) I decided for the price ($6000 from one guy, the other guy wouldn't do it) they gave me I could buy most of the equipment and do it my self. So bought a miller 175 wirefeed, Ingersol rand 5horse 80 gal compressor, Titan/vaper hvlp spray guns, da sander.

Sunday I scuffed the original paint on the outside firewall/outside floor on the cab with red scotchbright pad, then sprayed some CS279 martin senour sealer over it. Its either sealer is very easy to lay down, or begginers luck cause from what I can tell it turned out pretty good for never having shot anything before.

This weekend might try painting over this sealer. I was originally thinking a acrylic enamel with hardner to get some shine, but since I'd like to do base/clear on the outside body maybe this would be a good time to practice for that? Would there be any problems with a base/clear for the underside of the vehicle ( cab floor, box floor, inside the front clip)?

After reading kevin1533's post and how much sanding he had to do, if I screw up the firewall that would be a pain to sand cause of all the curves and holes, not nice and flat like a body pannel.

Also, my cab is still on the frame. Any tricks to painting upside down with a gravity feed gun? I ended up wearing some sealer from it comming out the breather hole.

Any tips for spraying in the area where the mechanical arms are for the wipers, gun doesn't even come close to fitting in that area and with hvlp doesn't seem like much fluid comes out just to aim as best you can and let the overspray get to the hard to reach places.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

I like single stage urethane for higher wearing areas, and BC/CC for the exterior. If you need a paint that needs to be more durable, you can spray polyurethane ( Imron...), but your color selection will be limited. Dan
www.geocities.com/dantechfab
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

For the hard to get areas I've used this several times and am VERY impressed with how it sprays considering a $15.00 item,can catch it on sale for 9.99 at times too...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92126

I've used it for spraying door jams and hard to get spots as you mention before spraying the whole vehicle and it lays out nice and also the cup is adjustable for the angle you need to shoot at and again surprised it never leaked..cant beat it for 15 bucks even if you only use it once but ive used it for numerous things since i got it including my riding mower..it was slow for the panels on it but worked really well with the basecoat and clearcoat
Old 06-26-2007, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the link SuthnCustoms, is that gun about the size of your hand? What size tip?

hemi 43, I'm new, what does single stage mean? And if you feel like typing a bit, can you list all the different types of paint, which each is used for, and what kind of primer or sealer they can be put over, if that matters?
What needs to be done with single stage after its painted, like after reading a bit tonight I found out some new terms, color sanding and buffing clear coat, never knew you had to do that. What is color sanding?

Did I do the right thing by putting sealer over the factory paint? The one painter that woudln't do the truck I mentioned in my first post is the one that suggested to do it that way, he's been doing body work many years.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Yes its only about the size of the palm of my hand and its a 1.0 tip,the thing is great to get in small areas and like i said,i was amased at the pattern and how it layed paint down.

I am by far whats considered a pro painter but yes its always a good idea to put a sealer on old paint for new,i use epoxy MP170,add the 10% acetone to make it a sealer
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Would there be any problems with a base/clear for the underside of the vehicle ( cab floor, box floor, inside the front clip)?
BC/CC won't last underneath if it is a driver. Go with single stage for those areas or coat with clear "Chip guard" after painting. Inside the inner fenders (inside of the front clip) and the bed will be fine with BC/CC. I would rather opt for a spray in bedliner though if you ever haul anything or you can tint the liner to the color of your paint. Many options to go with. Just don't use BC/CC for underneath.

Kevin

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.