Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Base coat clear coat repair problem
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Base coat clear coat repair problem

I need desperate help with a painting problem. I have a 55 Chevrolet 2 door hard top. I painted it about 5 years ago and just got in on the road this summer. I am a welder not a painter although I have had many compliments about the paint job. I sprayed the car with an epoxy primer, I used a base coat DBU blue and used DCU 2042 clear with DCX61 hardener. I put many coats of base and clear although I didn't count how many. Last week, I dropped an ignition coil on the fender and it hit the fender at the exact moment the fender cover slid off. It looks like I only chipped the clear coat as I can see the base blue underneath. Although it looks like a deep chip, the diameter of the chip is the size of a pencil eraser. I have heard stories about base crinkling after new clear is applied. A rep at the auto body paint shop said although I could use a small artist's brush to base coat the blue, I'd have to spray the clear coat. If I need to build up the clear, how do I do that and will it affect the base blue underneath? I would really appreciate any advice on how to repair this without redoing the whole fender.