Base coat disaster - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 03:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Always use a 2k product over a 1k. I use to use velvaseal alot without any problems (1 k) but now always use activated products.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2005, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

I got the clear on today with no problems and I am very much pleased with the results, That little trick you guys came up with worked like a charm
Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 AM

Last photo:

Maybe

I have had this happen before while airbrushing stuff. And what i figured out was that i baked them to fast and for a little to long (i had 50 mins. till they had to be dry to the touch). but on some other things i have painted i will come across some lifting of the paint and thats do to high humidity. But your promblem sounds like pour mixture of the paint or else the paints werent compatible with eachother. Did u follow the paint instructions cause i do mainly base clear and flash is 5-10 mins most the time. One last question what layers of paint lifted like primer and up sealer and up or just base coat, cause if its just the base coat then my guess is u put the sealer on to thick.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

I think we have this one figured out, although I did not seem to have any lifting when I sprayed the sealer over the 2k it was the 2k that lifted from the polyester where it(the 2k) had been sanded thin. As MartinSr said the solvents from the sealer probably got under the 2k at that point and even though there was no visible lifting then after I applied the base the solvents from that then lifted the whole mess. I think the failure here was because I did not apply more 2k over the thin spots before the sealer but if I had done that, which was the right thing to do, then I would not have needed the sealer at all. All products here were compatible and listed in the spec sheet but in this case I simply made a mistake in the application that I will not make again. This is only my second overall bc/cc and the fourth overall period so I still have a lot to learn but I am enjoying the process even if I do foul-up occasionally

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.