Hot Rod Forum banner

base coat mixed wrong 4 years ago...results

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  67' bug 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

new here :)

I made some stupid mistakes 5 years ago mixing base coat 1:1 with hardener :spank:

Seems to hold up quite well, nothing wrong with the paint so I'm surprised..

I know now the proper method is reducing the base, maybe adding some hardener like 5%, read it in many books but I cannot figure why it's not "good" to mix hardener and base together?? Is there a chemical reason? Sounds dumb I know.. :rolleyes:

I made a search here BTW but could not find the reason why..

cheers,
Leo

#2 ·
67' bug said:
Hi everyone,

new here :)
I made some stupid mistakes 5 years ago mixing base coat 1:1 with hardener :spank:
Seems to hold up quite well, nothing wrong with the paint so I'm surprised..
I know now the proper method is reducing the base, maybe adding some hardener like 5%, read it in many books but I cannot figure why it's not "good" to mix hardener and base together?? Is there a chemical reason? Sounds dumb I know.. :rolleyes:
I made a search here BTW but could not find the reason why..
cheers,
Leo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------IF I was I guess, we could say at this point that it was not a disaster although the paint is not at its peak for durability there is no reason not to hold up.

To many factors here that we don't know to explain why you lucked out but it could have just went south as soon as you sprayed the base.
What was the ISO ratio in the can of activator 30, 50, 70? makes a big difference, what base did you use? Some bases can handle as high as an 8:1 mix of activator and there are some that lean more toward the polyester side that 4oz to a mixed quart can gel or cause the base to gum up.
Solids, resins and ISO solids all played a part, since you say your in Europe then most likely four years ago you used a modified acrylic type resin base with a weak activator and lucked out.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, if what you say is true, the first bouncing stone you hit on the highway will leave a lovely chip in the paint as your paint is extremely brittle.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply Barry :)

The base was Dupont Centari and I'm not absolutely sure but I think the hardener's ISO ratio was 50. I don't use it anymore (PPG).

No ships in the paint for now but I guess it could happen at any time...
Planning a complete repaint probably next year so I don't mind, was just curious..
So luck and kind paint might be the explanation :D

Here she is:

cheers
Leo

#4 ·
Enamel!
That explains it.
I had been stewing on how you could have cleared the base mixed like that and still get a clear to not blow up, if even possible.

With the enamel, no big deal, not great but as long as you had high humidity when you painted the car, it would cure out OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.