base coat paint and base concentrate questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 09:55 PM
official pimp

Wiki Edits: 0

base coat paint and base concentrate questions

hey guys, i was just wondering even though you all will not recomend it but is there a website that sells fairly decent knock off brands of basecoat that wont break the bank? i just need black, but the cheapest i can find is r-m brand and its 120 bucks a gall.

next question is what the crap is base concentrate? sem makes it and it doesnt really say what it does? heres the link-http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=18847355 any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 PM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:

Have you seen the price of SPI black? Its $75 a gallon. Quality black too. Heres there pricing info and even some good primers and clears that might fit your budget compared to what your talking about.
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing%20Info.htm

Theres also Nason Fulthane and Omni that might also fit your budget. But hear that Omni might take a few more coats for coverage. I have to go more inexpensine which I don't want to do. Just trying to figure it out like you, and know it can be hard to ask about what kind of paint sometimes. hth

Just some thoughts from what I gather, I hear the Nason Fulthane being more user friendly than Omni. Great reviews on the SPI. But I think its the more expensive of the three I mentioned. I'm sure theres other good stuff out there at reasonable prices as well.

Last edited by Danny G.; 08-01-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The Sem base concentrates are mixed with an intercoat clear to make a base color of your choice..Usually about a pint of base concentrate to a gallon of intercoat..

Catalog?? Right here

Sam
Old 08-02-2006, 12:00 AM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:

Oops, just wanted to make an apology. Your asking about Base Coat. Not urethanes and acrylic. Just trying to learn. Shouln'dt suggest on paints yet
Old 08-02-2006, 02:01 PM
official pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
The Sem base concentrates are mixed with an intercoat clear to make a base color of your choice..Usually about a pint of base concentrate to a gallon of intercoat..

Catalog?? Right here

Sam

will intercoat clear stick to primer, my shop teacher said that top coat clear wont, is it different or is he rong
Old 08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

SPI top coat clear will stick to primer just fine..Ido that all the time for certain things..

But now to your question as to how to get a decent paint job at a reasonable price for materials..

Use the Black single stage over a 2K primer..You will need a gallon of primer..a quart of primer activator..a gallon of the single stage base..4 quarts of activator ...a gallon of probably 885 slow reducer as it is hot in OK this time of year..

Copies of tech sheets:

http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Tec...le%20Stage.htm

http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Tec...d%20Primer.htm

Those two items will give you a nice job for not a lot of cash and the material will work well for you..

Sam
Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 PM
official pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
SPI top coat clear will stick to primer just fine..Ido that all the time for certain things..

But now to your question as to how to get a decent paint job at a reasonable price for materials..

Use the Black single stage over a 2K primer..You will need a gallon of primer..a quart of primer activator..a gallon of the single stage base..4 quarts of activator ...a gallon of probably 885 slow reducer as it is hot in OK this time of year..

Copies of tech sheets:

http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Tec...le%20Stage.htm

http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Tec...d%20Primer.htm

Those two items will give you a nice job for not a lot of cash and the material will work well for you..

Sam
theres a problem with this though, i want a candy Orange finish with green ghost flames, i got all the candy and pearl ordered and it would be to expensive to use single-stage and go back over it with clear, so my thinking was find the cheapest way to make Candy burnt orange or what every you like to call it, (dark dark copper orange) and lay down my flames and do my ghost flames, and then clear the whole think what would be the most cost efficient way to achieve this look?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Your doing a kandy job and you want a cheap base to put it on?
BTW, What products are you using for the kandy & pearl work?
You won't find a cheaper base than SPI for the money and the quality is compairable with any TOP line paint.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Arrrgh..I thought you wanted a black car when done..the candy is a whole nother deal

Use this in black for your base..
http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Tec...y%20Primer.htm

Use this to blend your base color:
http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Tec...er%20clear.htm

It is absolutely imparative to do a layout..that is a test panel when painting candies as they are not all alike..Might take several coats to get the color to suit..

Once the candy is down then shoot a coat of intercoat..tape off for your flames and shoot them..

Once that is done follow up with 2-3 coats of Universal Clear..
http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Tec...ne%20Clear.htm

Candies are never cheap as it requires quite a bit of paint to do..

What I have outlined is how I would go about it but then there are others who have their own ideas of how to do a candie job..

Sam
Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 PM
official pimp

thanks sam, this is exactly the help i needed

btw, how many coats of the candy do you think it would take?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by student blake
will intercoat clear stick to primer, my shop teacher said that top coat clear wont, is it different or is he rong
Intercoat clear will stick to primer and your shop teacher is wrong, topcoat clear will stick to primer the same as singlestage urethane sticks to primer as long as the primer is sanded/scuffed properly. But to do a candy you'll need to apply a base color, silvers and golds are the most common but any color can be used solid or metalic to achieve the effect you're after. You're taking on quite a challenge doing a candy if you're new to this kind of work.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:02 PM
official pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Intercoat clear will stick to primer and your shop teacher is wrong, topcoat clear will stick to primer the same as singlestage urethane sticks to primer as long as the primer is sanded/scuffed properly. But to do a candy you'll need to apply a base color, silvers and golds are the most common but any color can be used solid or metalic to achieve the effect you're after. You're taking on quite a challenge doing a candy if you're new to this kind of work.

dont take me rong, im going to practice with it to get it right, im only 17and have been doin paint for only a couple of years, but i want to learn and do as much as possible, i just got accepted into uti, huston, for the auto body program and i am lookin forward to it, all i am really interested in is custom paint
Old 08-02-2006, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

Blake, I wish you luck on the career and with your interest I'm sure you'll do good. The amount of candy needed is going to be determined by how dark you want the color to be and how concentrated the candy is. Based on the jobs I've done it always took at least 4 coats and some took up to 8 coats. When you shoot your testpanel you'll find out how many coats are needed and can order up more paint if needed. The weaker the dye concentration the easier it will be for you to get an even application with no light or dark spots. Plan on walking the full length of the car when applying the candy so there's no light or dark spots from starting and stopping, don't forget to shoot the rockers-my first candy looked really good untill you looked at the bottom of the rocker panels. Bob
Old 08-02-2006, 10:33 PM
official pimp

thanks for the help guys, im sure with the advise you all have given me i will do fine

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.