Basecoat/clearcoat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 01:23 AM
OddJob

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Basecoat/clearcoat

Ok I just tried a paint basecoat/clearcoat. Was using centary laquor.

Just how well is single coat of basecoat supposed to cover. The stuff i used was darn near clear. Took 5 coats to covor and remove any and all tiger striping. It I slowed down or applied any more than I was per pass I got runs. Very frustraiting stuff for my first time with it.

Also my paint dealer insisted told me three times before I left that I HAD to have clearcoat on the car with in 4 hours or the clear would never stick right. Made a two tone paint job quite a hastle. Finally decided to do one color one day then the next color the next day.

Didn't have any prep problems or contaminations. Just a very different paint style than the others I've used.

Oh and just how thick if this stuff supposed to be or look when its all done? Mine had to be the thinest paint in all hystory and the 5 coats of clear didn't look anywhere near as deep as the centary laquor.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2003, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

It all depends on how well the color covers, some don't cover for hell, others you will have it all covered with two coats. The product sheet will tell you how long you have before being clearcoated. If you exceed this time you will have to scuff the basecoat and apply another coat of color. 4 hours doesn't seem like much time, most I used gave you 24 hours. Its always good to spray on a sealer close in color to the basecoat color you are spraying to help coverage, and I always use a sealer because it prevents a lot of potential problems for the little bit extra you have to spend on a sealer
Old 12-17-2003, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

viscosity cup

Most paint suppliers will give you a cheap viscosity cup. When you mix your paint you run it through the cup and you can tell if the mixture is correctly thinned. A base coat can be applied one coat but I would recommend that you do a two coat. You always find an area that you didn't get a great coverage on. Clear doesnt have to go on that fast. If your prep is very good and you have 0 overspray, you should be able to put both colors of base on a car before you shoot the total clear. But what the hey. Painting is fun. Do one color on saturday and the next on sunday.

Oh, did we mention temperature. Nice warm day, alittle more thinner.. no a little less. Cool day a little more thinner. Hmmm, what about FISH EYE?

hr41pearl

P.S. Nice toys.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:35 AM
OddJob

Last photo:

Thanks guys.

This was just some of the cheapest stuff on the market. Test spraying it after I did the car I found out the salesman at the paint shop didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground, he also didn't have any of the manufacturers sheats for it. Maybe he got it of the net for a really good price.

I changed the mix he told me and it covered much better. And the clearcoat stuck just fine even after 24 and 48 hours. It at least didn't chip off when scaped lightely or when hit with a hammer a little. Mixing it different did have the effect of a slower flash off time from 15-20 minutes to about 35-40. Not bad really. I spray in a room thats always about 60-70 degrees so the temp isn't bad.

After finely using a basecoat clear coat i can see how easy it would be to make great fades and other paint effects.

Any hints on a good clearcoat that builds really good? I like that thick/deep look.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.