Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Now that you mention it, this is the first time I have used Barry's waterborne, so that is a new factor in the puzzle too. I have always used solvent base from my local supplier. I like Barry's waterborne much better than the solvent base I was using (I can visibly tell the cleaning difference if nothing else). I turn on the booth fans, wipe the vehicle down until clean and wait 30 minutes with the fans on, tack it off and start spraying. This has been my standard procedure and didn't think twice about it with the waterborne. The truck never sat outside and didn't contact any moisture outside of the waterborne. This gives me two things different from my usual procedure: sanding with 600 and waterborne wax and grease. While it is true I haven't talked to TCP about activating their basecoat, I have used Restoration Shop a few times in the past activated with universal clear activator without issue, so that isn't my first thought.

I would need to scuff the primer for sitting overnight between sanding and base? I have never done that before, but if it is recommended I will start. I didn't realize that urethane primer has self healing properties, so that is really good knowledge.

Yeah, I am really interested in seeing what Barry says too. I posted this here instead of contacting him directly to get everyone's comment and hopefully help out a few other new painters too. I did a search and didn't see anyone discuss this problem before.