Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad4321 View Post
As swvalcon said, Barry recommends adding activator to the base and intercoat. I have done this before without issue, so I do not think that is it.

The primer I used is "regular 2k" from SPI. That is what it is named. Yes, it is urethane primer.

I did not wet sand. I always dry sand primer. The primer was shot and sanded the day before. It was approx 12 hours inbetween applying the primer and the base. The last coats of primer were block sanded first with 320 and then 600. I was wondering myself if I missed a spot sanding when I first seen it flake off, but I didn't miss the entire door.

After sanding, I clean with waterborne wax and grease remover and a white, lint free cloth until no more dirt shows up. The towel comes out clean. I give the waterborne about 30 minutes to dry with the booth fans on.
I have a thought. I have been told that dryer sheets and fabric softeners can contaminate surfaces. Is it possible this clean white towel could be an issue?

John L