Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 01:49 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

On one of the threads we were talking about dumb mistakes we did in and around the paint booth over the many years some of us have been painting !! and one that came up a few times was adding a material from a can other then the one you thought you were adding especially when tired from hrs in and out of the booth! Especially when cans look alike with my age now I use tape and a marker and label my cans and when mixing on a note pad I write down what I just added!! I also write down what time I enter the booth and when I come out and what pass I just made LOL I dont know how many times over the years I answered the phone came back a few minutes later and forgot what I just added or thought is this my 5th or 6th passLOL and poring out the questionable mix and starting the mix over LOL I always order extra material ! But if you dont catch it and shoot you think everything is perfect till the next day LOL

Over the years Ive caught it just at that moment except once I was using material in cans that all looked the same and my wife just used the thinner to clean some bare metal in the shop before etching and she sat it on my mixing table and I grabbed it and used it as enamel reducer I went in the booth to shoot my 3rd heavy pass and man my wife's holding the hose behind me and yelling for me to stop somethings happening to the paint!!!!! the top of the quarter wrinkled like a fat woman's A S S and started falling off the car I opened the cup and could smell the lacquer!! ran out to the mix table and saw the can I immediately blamed her and the was on!! But it was my fault I was tired and not paying attention. Im sure all you older painters can relate LOL

Chris