Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have thought about this non stop, every problem has a set of reasons, if first week in sun you get 4-7 bubbles here and there on the car, can be one set of reasons and if you get just bubbling on hood and deck lid can be another set of reasons.
Undried wax and grease removers will case certain problems, solvent trap-age another, mis-activating the substrate another but none of these causes paint to come off in sheets, like this. Easy chipping, poor adhesion, dieback, yes but not sheets.

The base worked great on the other parts of car but not doors, the base is not smart enough to say, I think I will screw up on these two panels and do OK on the others.--SO the base is perfect.

That only leaves something "in" the last application of primer or something "on it". Whatever it is, is extream, too cause this.
The primer must come off, as nothing will ever stick to it.

Paint just don't come off in sheets over primer, even if it was over activated, under activated or sanded with 3000 or not sanded at all, or closed up do ue too setting, even undried wax and grease remover the base will draw out and dissipate and you may see popping or fish-eyes but it still will not come off in total sheets, maybe a 2 inch spot and prone to chipping but not sheets.

Last edited by BarryK; 09-23-2012 at 07:37 AM.