Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yea Brian, we both have been through it and heard it all and sometimes there just are no reason for something that happened.

My favorite one:
About 3 or so years ago a shop from the Midwest called and up front, said He was a restro shop used PPG and would never use my product but would I help him with a problem and of course I did.

He had done a car and two weeks out the door, the LF epoxy is coming off in 3" to 1' sheets with just the slightest pressure. The factory PPG guy came and said either contamination on metal or solvent trap in the epoxy.
The shop owner just knew, it was a bad batch of epoxy.

So this guy starts the blow by blow and I slipped in trick questions on each product, just to verify he had no defective products.
Everything was just perfect, product wise and flash time as well as prep wise.
30 minutes later he was done and my answer was, sir you did everything perfect and overkill all the way throughout the job and a lot of the questions I asked you were questions for myself to see if, you did have any problem products and I can honestly say you do not as i have no reason to protect PPG.
So I'm telling you now, what you say happened, could not chemically happen with the info you gave me and it did not happen.

Then he said! OK what if I had use this product after the car was sandblasted?
I said we could have saved 30 minutes of conversation.

To this day, never talked to him again but I will put money on it talking to this guy after he beat the poor PPG rep half to death, he NEVER did call and let the poor guy know what caused the problem.
Oh the reason for this strange product on the metal was the owner brought a gallon in and insisted because he read how great this stuff worked and Like a, I told the owner of the shop, you better hope the customer signed something for using this product because, he is not going to want to pay to have you redo the job. Got real silent at that point!

Last edited by BarryK; 09-23-2012 at 06:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
John long (09-23-2012)