Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
You are way more of an expert than I am with paint and paint products. In your experience, you probably have come across some odd combinations of products that work.

But for me, it is best if I stick pretty close to that the data sheet on the paint product recommends. I do not think it is wise to use a PPG activator in a Dupont paint, or primer, for example. I do not think SPI would recommend using some other companies activator, or hardener either, in one of their epoxies or paints.
Not true.

For years with my own base, I have told hundreds of people, use ANY automotive clearcoat activator in my base, if they did not have my clear at one ounce per Mixed quart.

Now, I would never say use my clear activator in PPG clear or any other clear as that is bad news as everyone has a different OH/NCO ratio that is not public knowledge.
Basecoat activation is different from point, there are a limited number of choices the automotive paint company's have as far as "Aliphatic type ISO's".
So that is why companies say, any activator from a clearcoat or SS urethane and never a primer type.