Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Base coats have always been a mystery to me so a better understanding of them would help me be a better painter .Please excuse my ignorance but I have a few questions about them ....I've only activated base one time and until then I've never heard of it ,it was with Nason ful-base and although I've already been using for yrs The guy at the paint store asked if I wanted the activator with my order, activator?I said ,he said most guys dont use itso I tried it and didnt notice any difference. a few months ago I learned that Chroma base uses an activator I've used Chroma base for years alsoand never activated it....
So heres my question....
1) what are the advantages to activating the base when it drys fast without it????
occationally I need to sand my base from dirt or whatnot but its hard to do because it clogs the paper so quick even after it sits overnite
2) if I activated the base would it sand better?
3) is basemaker (chromabase) a reducer??? and can it be used to reduce other bases? I know other reducers shouldnt be used with chromabase. Right?
4) will activating work on ALL bases ????

Barry ,Using your clear made me LOOK like a better painter but talking to you and just knowing you has actually MADE me a better painter.....
DAM YOU...Now I'll never get to be a dentist..