Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

techs-young and old

I don't believe it's the age, I believe it's the attitude. Being involved in the trade as a rep I have had the opportunity to witness many different types of personalities. I once was teaching a relatively new painter how to be more productive and minimize redoing work (never cost effective) and he became a quick study. The shop got busier and they decided to hire an apprentice painter for him. About 2 weeks go by and the owner of the shop called because his new man said he wasn't learning anything and ready to walk. I talked to the painter and he told me he wouldn't teach the new guy anything because "knowledge was power" and he would have a job forever if he kept all of his knowledge to himself. I completely agreed with the painter about knowledge being power but told him that giving his knowledge to someone else was powerful and he had the option of having power or being powerful. The painter thought for a minute and decided being powerful was a better situation. People are people, if it wasn't for the older guys that took the time with me when I was starting out I wouldn't have lasted in this profession. Yes people get set in their ways as time goes by, but, if they respect you, they will listen. I try to live my life with 3 words, Faith, Respect and Trust. I can explain the principal of these words if anybody is interested.