Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat Did Not Adhere
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

One thing I always do when training a new guy is first show him the hard way and let them struggle for a while.For instance filler work,I'll show them how to mix it and put it on (that can be pretty funny in itself,watching them get it all over thier arms when mixing and all over the floor when applying it) but when they get that part down I'll let them let it harden up and start sanding and sanding and sanding 3-4hrs Then I'll stop by and ask if they want to know an easier way??? They always "oh God yes this is tough work"
then I'll apply some filler wait till it gets tacky and and sand it with a few strokes and a couple minutes later its done....They always say the same thing.....WHY DIDNT YOU SHOW ME THAT WAY FIRST?????? Well,if I showed the easy way you wouldnt know how hard it CAN be and the value of what I'm showing you ,would you???? it took me years to figure this out and you just learned it in a few hours.....The older more experianced guys are a little different I always wait for them to come over and ASK how I do my filler work so fast. Most times though they wont ask they'll just come by and watch while I'm doing it...I learned this trick from a drunk that could make more money in a week than most bodymen mdae in a month....So ,you really can learn something from everybody....