Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat and primer coverage question
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"I didn't use hardner. So what problem would that cause? I don't see any issues right now and I have already wet sanded the entire car."

The hardened epoxy sealer, the un-hardened base coat and the hardened 2K will absorb the solvent from your repaint at different rates and then shrink-back at different rates, commonly called 'bull's eyes'. The solvents can also 'fry' the edges of your sand-thrus.

"Also, your answer was informative but did not say whether to use white epoxy or not. I assume you meant that it doesn't matter as long as you get complete coverage. Is this right?"

IF it covers in 3 coats great, just spot it in and continue the repaint

IF it takes 5-6 coats, tint the sealer to a very light gray, white's too bright and gray is too dark. Watch out for over-spray.

IF it's a monster and takes 10 coats or more to cover, sand it all off, seal it with very light gray and re-do it all. Sorry but the spot repairs WILL show thru within a few months and you will just love it when they do.