Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Basecoat and primer coverage question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basecoat-primer-coverage-question-224608.html)

off2wildblue 10-02-2012 07:27 PM

Basecoat and primer coverage question

Sorry. I didn't know how to title this but here is the deal.

I basecoated my 69 Firebird completely and cleared the jams. Then I assembled it with doors and fenders. While doing that I had a stand tip over and scratched my fender. Thank God it did not dent. Anyway, while I was wet sanding with 600 I found a few other spots I could fix.

So here I am with white sealer, then yellow base, and about ten gray patches on various panels including the hood. After wet sanding there are a few white shade spots as well.

So should I spray white epoxy as a sealer over the gray high build patches or just spray yellow base to cover? My gut says you will see these spots if I don't go white. I don't want to spray the whole panel white but I guess I should also get your opinion on that.

Thanks,

SAM

oldBodyman 10-02-2012 11:47 PM

"So should I spray white epoxy as a sealer over the gray high build patches or just spray yellow base to cover? "

Yellow can be a bear for coverage, some will cover in 2 coats, others will take 15 coats.

Get a sheet of plate glass and spray the whole plate with your base. Take a sheet of cardboard and mask off 3/4" steps for each additional coat. Let it dry and hold it up to the light to see how many coats it takes to cover COMPLETELY.

I do hope you used hardener in your original basecoat, if not it may be easier just to wet sand it all off and start over.

Good luck with it.

off2wildblue 10-03-2012 05:06 AM

I didn't use hardner. So what problem would that cause? I don't see any issues right now and I have already wet sanded the entire car.

Also, your answer was informative but did not say whether to use white epoxy or not. I assume you meant that it doesn't matter as long as you get complete coverage. Is this right?

SAM

oldBodyman 10-03-2012 06:42 AM

"I didn't use hardner. So what problem would that cause? I don't see any issues right now and I have already wet sanded the entire car."

The hardened epoxy sealer, the un-hardened base coat and the hardened 2K will absorb the solvent from your repaint at different rates and then shrink-back at different rates, commonly called 'bull's eyes'. The solvents can also 'fry' the edges of your sand-thrus.

"Also, your answer was informative but did not say whether to use white epoxy or not. I assume you meant that it doesn't matter as long as you get complete coverage. Is this right?"

IF it covers in 3 coats great, just spot it in and continue the repaint

IF it takes 5-6 coats, tint the sealer to a very light gray, white's too bright and gray is too dark. Watch out for over-spray.

IF it's a monster and takes 10 coats or more to cover, sand it all off, seal it with very light gray and re-do it all. Sorry but the spot repairs WILL show thru within a few months and you will just love it when they do.