Basecoat problems!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Basecoat problems!!

I'm in the middle of painiting my 64 chevelle in pieces. I have started with the hood, and have made some mistakes. The biggest one is a problem in the basecoat I didn't catch. Its a low spot that is very noticeable now that I have three coats of clear over it. Should I go all the way down to primer and fill?? Then spot in the base, then sand the hole hood and re-clear?? I have two spots that need to be repaired, I just painted the thing today how long should I wait before messing with it?? Should I sand the clear first before the spots repairs?? Like 600 wet?? or do the spot repairs then sand. I'm obviously a amatuer, so any expert advice would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Several questions...how deep are the areas that need to be repaired and what temperature are you spraying at?

Ray
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Both spot that need to be repaired are in the basecoat. They have three coats of clear over the top of them. I'm not sure what the depth would be?? My shop was right a 70 degrees while painting. I'm using OMNI Plus MPB 589, and MR186 reducer for the basecoat. The clear is USC and #12 hardner.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Perhaps I don't understand...are they low spots like in the metal or does it look more like a ring? I guess what I'm asking is, is it a dent or is it a spot where perhaps the base coat sank? Or started to ring around a primer spot? I'd love to help but need more information.

As far as the clear goes...it would be a good idea to let it sit for another day or 2 before you attempt to do any repair, MR186 if I'm correct is a medium reducer, which is fine.

Pictures would help as well, if possible.

Ray
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 PM

The worst spot was from the cap on my clear gun coming loose and a big drop of clear on the basecoat. I waited until it was dry, and then sanded that area and spotted in the base. The spot felt, and looked good. I then cleared the hole hood. It looks like what you said, that the basecoat sank in that spot. The gun that created that spot, is now in several pieces. And yes that did make me feel better.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Okay...The way the situation was first described it sounded as though you had mist several dents in the hood. Without seeing the situation via pictures and going by your description, I would suggest that you block the hood out with 600 grit wet, apply a coat of base over the problem areas, allow it to flash...even give it an extra 10 or 15 minutes, then re-clear the hood, at least 2 coats. I'm suggesting using a block, that way your substrate will be even and the hood will be even straighter. As I mentioned in my previous post, allow the clear to set up for a couple of more days at 70 degrees...the extra set up time and using 600 grit wet paper will minimize any problems of lifting or wrinkling...remember, block the hood...it's what you see while your driving and should be what your most proud of.

Hope this helps, if you need any more information, feel free.

Ray
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Oh. and on a side note...Every painter has had instances where guns end up in several pieces due to equipment failure...the first time it happened to me the gun ended up wedged between a 2 X 4 stud and a wall made of double sheeted dry wall...and yes, I agree it does feel better.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM

I would rather take my frustrations out on a brick wall rather than the spray gun, however, at least you blokes didn't take it out on the door panels
Unfortunate result concerning your hood noriski. I am certainly no expert, but I recon the lesson learned here is that body prep is really the most important step of all in producing a first class finish. I haven't really started on my car yet, and I'm already anal in my attitude.

Good luck mate, and don't forget to become anal like a lot of the other blokes on this forum, and I say that with the utmost of respect for those who are extreme in their desire for perfection.

Cheers!

Last edited by AdvancedRetard; 03-05-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Missed a word :)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try once the clear is ready. I also agree with the bodywork being the first part to get right. I have repaired the quarters, and some work on the doors all turned out good. I just probably rushed the basecoat repair. The truth is, haste makes waste. Trust me!!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Yep...The faster you go, the further behind you get.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.