Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat question? ASAP
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 05:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well, I am no pro, but I just finished my S-10 with martin seniour BC/CC(Dupount). I had done BC/CC before, and found the martin seniour hard to use at first. Like stated earlier it is thin as water. I found that if I tryed to put it on too thick on the first coat it tended to separate on the surface and give a rough finish. I thought at first it was surface prep contamination because of the way it looked. What I found is that the paint was a bit picky about application.

What worked for me was first setting the gun to 55 psi at the regulator. Also I used about a 10 inch fan. The most important thing seemed to be to start with a very thin first coat. I would start with a very thin coat that did not even completely cover. Then I would follow with two normal wet coats. If I tryed to start with a wet coat it just did not work. It would leave a rough finish and seemed to separate. Once I got one thin coat dryed everything was okay.

Hope this helps.