Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Basecoat question? ASAP
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 01:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey guys, thanks again for all the replies. It helps to have input from a lot of different people with different experiences in painting. Personally, I would have never tackled a paint job if I hadn't been screwed out of $3500 by a redneck bodyman. I started working at the parts store where he bought all of his paint (while he still had my car) and after mixing quite a few gallons of paint for him and other people (I never did get the chance to mix the Medium Garnet Red for my car...haha) I decided if that ********* could paint, so could I. Anyway...the store where I worked wasn't very organized and the owner knew about as much about painting as he did about building a rocket. Needless to say, his variety of paint products wasn't very extensive. There was only one line of the primer: 2K Urethane (I really like the primer), one range of basecoat stabilizer(reducer or whatever you wanna call it) and that was the fast reducer. He had one grade of clearcoat - high solids booth clear and fast activator. I guess I should have gone to the parts store down the street and bought some dupont.

With that said, the only reason I decided to paint this fender was that I had painted a hood for my car and had some materials left over. I used the last of my basecoat and the biggest part of the clear, but I had planned on trying a different brand of basecoat and definitely not a urethane booth clearcoat the next time I tried to paint anything at all. I guess practice and experimenting will probably make things a little easier as I progress, but it's kinda hard without somebody to show me how to do it. I took my hood to a local bodyman and asked him to tell me what I did wrong and he told me it looked like ***** and he'd do it for $150 if I supplied the materials...anyway lol I didn't do it...but that's the kind of people I have to deal with around where I live...this place is the worst lol ANYWAY I've rambled enought...thanks again for all of your input and if I run into any other problems I know where to turn...