Basecoat spot repair question ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 09:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Basecoat spot repair question ?

I was scuffing up my doors so I could re-clear them on Monday. I notice that at the bottom of the doors I was a little thin on my base (dark Blue). I also sanded out a run and got into the base just a little bit but enough to make a color difference. When the water is on the door during wet sanding the difference is visible and I thought this might be an indicator of how it will look with clear on it.

Can I spray some color on the bottom edge of my door and on the spot where I sanded out the run and then go ahead and re-clear? I don't want to spray color over the entire door again but just do spot repair. Is this the way spot repairs are usually done?

Will the repair hide with the next couple of coats of clear? It has been two weeks since I sprayed the base coat and clear. I used 800 and followed up with a gray scuff pad.

Thanks for this site and your help. It has be invaluable to me in learning how to paint.

Ira Brown
Chandler Arizona

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

sand the area with 400 or 600 your choice... and then spot in the base as you have said and re clear the whole panel... it is done everyday... NO big deal or worries mate
Old 03-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Last photo:

I am assuming you have already applied clear and have sanded through to the base.

If you have already applied clear to it and then spray some more base over the area then reclear just that area you will be able to tell it. There will be a light refraction differance. It is best IMO to scuff the entire door, shoot a coat of base over the entire door then reclear.

Vince
Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Yep, your fine. Your clear should cover that 800 scratch easily. Like BK said, you can sand the area you will be applying more base with a little courser grit. Spray till you have coverage then blend the base out a little ways. After proper flash time, clear the whole door. You may want to be a little carefull with the first coat of clear, it may wan't to run easier if you put it on too heavy, without having base to bite onto and only having mechanical adhesion on a 800 scratch. Once you have the first coat of clear on, the second one you can spray a little wetter, and make sure you have no dry areas.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for everyone's help.

I touched up the base and shot my clear today. This time I upped the air from 23 inlet to 28 because I got some runs last time and what a difference. Attached are the results.

Ira Brown
Chandler Arizona
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	395 Reclear.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	10575   Click image for larger version

Name:	394 Reclear.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	10576   Click image for larger version

Name:	390 Reclear.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	10577  
Old 03-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,323 Times in 1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I am assuming you have already applied clear and have sanded through to the base.

If you have already applied clear to it and then spray some more base over the area then reclear just that area you will be able to tell it. There will be a light refraction differance. It is best IMO to scuff the entire door, shoot a coat of base over the entire door then reclear.

Vince
Vince, if you have blended color over the clear but not the entire panel and then cleared the entire panel and you could see the base blend, you did something wrong.

As BondoKing said, this is done every single day in bodyshops around the world. It is a standard blend that is one on six to ten cars a day where I work. These late model cars, some brand new Toyotas that have never even been to the dealership yet.

Brian
Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,323 Times in 1,148 Posts
Ira, you look damn proud of yourself, and you should be! That paint looks great.

Brian
Old 03-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Vince, if you have blended color over the clear but not the entire panel and then cleared the entire panel and you could see the base blend, you did something wrong.

As BondoKing said, this is done every single day in bodyshops around the world. It is a standard blend that is one on six to ten cars a day where I work. These late model cars, some brand new Toyotas that have never even been to the dealership yet.

Brian
The only experience I had was with a silver lacquer job. The hose came into contact with the quarter panel as the clear was being applied. The spot was sanded down to the base. A little base was reapplied in that area then recleared. You could see a color shift in the area in bright sunlight. Must admit I have not run into the problem with BC/CC. Sorry for the confusion.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.