Hot Rod Forum banner

Basement garage?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  T-bucket23 
#1 ·
I have a walkout unfinished basement. I am toying with changing the sliding door and moving a couple of cars in my basement. The reason is I don't have enough land to build a pole barn. I am trying to get rid of my primary mortgage insurance as well. Also, storage costs me something like 110 a month. PMI is 100 a month. So I'm not using my basement for much. It'll be heated in the winter. I won't be planning on painting. Though metal grinding and a limited amount of welding would probably be ok. Wondered if there were any issues foundation wise for this. My basement is poured concrete. Thanks! -Mike

#4 ·
basement garage

Just need to put sheetrock ceiling up and probably a fire door to the house-
Might have to put up some partitions with sheetrock around anything like
the furnace, oil tanks etc. Check with your local building inspector- most
of them are decent to deal with and will often give you ideas that will
improve the finished product. Good luck with it.

#5 ·
lots of houses have garages in the basement.. my uncle's old house was a doublewide modular, put on the side of a hill, and had a 2 car garage in the basement.. I dont know what all is entailed but his house, had exposed insulation in the celings. also housed a woodshop, small home gym and firewood storage. the basement was quite large

#6 ·
jetnow1 said:
Just need to put sheetrock ceiling up and probably a fire door to the house-
Might have to put up some partitions with sheetrock around anything like
the furnace, oil tanks etc. Check with your local building inspector- most
of them are decent to deal with and will often give you ideas that will
improve the finished product. Good luck with it.
If you need to hang drywall - spend the extra to get the 5/8 fire rated drywall panels.

If you're going to be welding - make sure you don't have any exposed insulation, gaps, or other voids that sparks can reach.

I have an Attached - but seperate shop I've been working out of for a year - when I went to remove some pegboard I found the original owner had hung the pegboard straight on the studs against the paper facing of the insulation :nono: :nono:

It wouldn't have taken much to "tinder" that stuff up!

Also, even if you're not going to be painting.
- I'd install some kind of small fan for venting any welding byproduct gases or other fumes.

That all being said, there's nothing like having a inside dry place to have your cars in the winter ~ makes it's easier to go downstairs, get in the car and pre-tend "vrroom, vrroom" like it's summer and you're out driving! (It's the closest I've come to driving my Hudson so far :thumbup: :mwink: )

#7 ·
You need fire rated 5/8 sheetrock
Most require a steel door between the living area and the garage.
Most also require a 4 inch cement birm on the floor along the garage/living area wall.
Make sure you check with locals fire inspectors and your insurance company. They are always looking for a reason to not pay if there is an issue

Chet

#8 ·
There are a lot of good suggestions here.
I would absolutely follow the 5/8 type X board and at least fire tape all joints. There have many built without the rock but todays codes require it. Have good cross ventilation for the welding fumes, some can be toxic.

Don't forget, fire extinguishers, fire extinguishers, fire extinguishers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.