Basement Paint Booth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Basement Paint Booth

Well I've been toying with the idea of putting a little paint booth in my basement that I could paint one panel at a time in. The room is 14.5 feet by 8.5 feet and has two 2 square foot windows on either side of it.

I don't want to have dust nibs on my panels, I don't want fumes to leak into any other room in the house and I don't want people outside the house to smell the paint.

What I've planned to do so far is seal every little crack in the room. Add a bigger door that is air locked. Install the air compressor just outside the room and drill a hole for the hose (so dirt doesn't collect around the compressor inside the booth). Then just have a small table in the booth for mixing paint. I want to keep it as simple as possible for cleaning, there's a drain in the centre already too.

But I wonder about the kind of lighting I should use for this room. Should it be just like 8 or 10 big florescent bulbs, or is there a better choice?
And what should I do with my two window spaces? Should I turn them into fans, one going in and one going out? Would the one going out have to pass a scent reducer like charcoal?

Thank you for your time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 04:08 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

My first thought is, you live in Canada, so you have a furnace, which draws in air and pumps it through the house. Unless you totally seal it from this furnace, you will get fumes in the house, not to mention the explosion possibilities.......

I wouldnt do it

Budget RVs
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The return would be in the house not the basement so thats not a problem ..every thing you've said sounds good and you can get booth filters with activated charcoal also not a problem ,most important to remember is you cant have to much light, the more the better.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg
... I don't want fumes to leak into any other room in the house...
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I wouldnt do it
x2 You'll be smelling paint fumes in the house for months...
Old 12-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Put the light switch outside the room as they can spark when used and you do not want that when the room still has fumes. Do not plug in anything or
unplug anything for the same reason. Compressor should not be in the same
room either.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

the fumes will migrate into the house. unless the basement is totally sealed off from the house which is not likely . a garage is bad enough but basements never work too well .
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 AM
boatbob2

Fumes.......

Hi,when the paint FUMES get up into the house,your wife is going to cut your throat,basement paint booth is DEFINATELY a bad idea...
Old 12-18-2011, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

Really, really, really stupid idea.

the fumes WILL enter the house
this will VOID your homeowner's insurance
the explosion-proof light fixtures are large, heavy and expensive

it would be a lot easier building a garage for this
Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Hes not talking about painting a whole car just a fender and small stuff the key is air flow...like a hood they use for welding...and come on now,I dont even have explotion proof lights or fixtures in my DeVilbis paint booth...But the insurance thing would be what stopped me and get me thinking about buying a storage shed for the back yard. I painted quite a few cars in moms attached two car garage for my first 5yrs starting out but I also sheetrocked it and taped up the joints the smell was never an issue it was always the cars in the driveway that pissed her off
Old 12-18-2011, 01:30 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

doesn't matter how much he paints. a small area like that will reek . he would have to have exhaust running until the guns were clean and all solvents removed from there.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercetdg

I don't want fumes to leak into any other room in the house and I don't want people outside the house to smell the paint

Thank you for your time.
i think if you get the room sealed with plastic, and well vented to the outside, you could keep most of it out of the house.
however, with that much venting, keeping the smell of paint from the outside will be more work and money
Old 12-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

I have painted 4 panels already in a very small bathroom in my basement with clear coat and one time it did smell for about half a day in the room just outside the bathroom. But I can't help feeling like it would be impossible for paint to get into any other room but the paint booth. So unless someone can tell me how this could happen, maybe it won't be the only thing we talk about in this thread.

I think the idea about covering the walls and ceiling in plastic is a great idea because this will be far from permanent. But is there a kind of plastic that you would recommend for this?

And I would like to put some lighting in that I wouldn't have to change when I sell the house (I think this would end up being the junk room). So I was thinking 6 big LED lights spread over the ceiling then have the switch outside the room.

Then for ventilation I'm still kind of confused. So should I have one window open up really wide with fine mesh on it, so no dust gets in. Then have the other window the same but it will have a fan mounted on it that will have a charcoal paint filter on the end of it?

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

Some paints and solvents are pretty nasty to breathe, even small amounts. Do you really want to possibly expose your other family members, or even yourself to these chemicals? It is one thing to expose yourself for an hour or two, but overnight, or longer is not a good idea.

You say you do not smell it. The thing is, if you are exposed to a smell for a while, you sense of that smell goes away. You may think the smell is gone, but if somebody visits, they will smell it.

I understand the desire to want to paint car parts in the winter, and I live in Oregon. I sign up for a hobbyist auto body class at the local community college during the winter term (January to March).
Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

My Paint booth

When I paint a car i erect a plastic box with 16 foot furring strips made into an A frame with a ridge structure. It is made against my garage door with a sheet that will cover the door when closed.Also plastic on the ground or driveway what ever you have. The respirator goes out side the plastic tent under the flaps with the hose, and the same for the spray hose and gun. Build it 1st then roll out car into tent then shut door of garage and cover with existing plastic,. I use a staple gun for the plastic takes about an hour to build. I have done this for 30 years. real cheap paint booth and every bit as good as renting one from some body. You can stay as long as you want with no charge.... Cost about 30 bucks
Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM

I know from dealing with our spray booth I had at work, you need to have explosion proof lighting, and a ventilation system of some sort. The more fumes you put in the booth, it will displace the oxygen, killing you, and also you can build up fumes to a explosive level that could be set off by normal lights, wiring, or even static discharge. Paint booths are pretty involved and if you don't take them seriously it can be very dangerous.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.