Basic Air Tool Set Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 09:51 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Basic Air Tool Set Help

Help

I have all the typical hand tools and power tools every handyman and auto mechanic needs. what I don't have are any air tools - including impact wrenches, etc. I have an air compressor but no tank. the air compressor has to run whenever I use it for something.

I want a air tool set for typical auto mechanic type work. I have only a small amount of garage space left for stuff. I don't have "Jay Leno Garage Space". what do you recommend I get for a starter set of air tools and equipment.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Are you doing body work or the general stuff..the most conveient air tool I have is the 3/8 air ratchet and a 1/2" impact for lug nuts and such..Get an air tank for that compressor..

Just add a tool as you find the need for it and you will have a set that is in tune to your needs.

Sam
Old 09-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Before you buy any tools, you need to figure out how much air your compressor produces. Different tools require different amounts of air, in CFM. You dont wanna buy a tool that needs 10 CFM to run if you only have 6.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:12 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Sounds like the air compressor you have was made to inflate tires or run a small paint sprayer/air brush. That won't run tools. Impact wrneches, sanders, and drills need a good bit of air. You need at least a 3 hp compressor with a 18-20 gallon tank. That will be fine for hobby work, though you will have to take a five minute break on occasion to let the compressor catch up. 5 hp and 25-30 gallons should run just about any tool you want as long as you want to run it working by yourself. The compressor is the single most expensive item. After you have that the tools are a lot more cost effective.

The tools do use a certain amount of air (cfm) at a certain pressure (psi). An impact wrench will probably use the most. Check the tool requirements and size your compressor to that. You can go a little under, but you'll find yourself waiting for the compressor to catch up if you do. For occasional hobby work that might be acceptable -- it's your call. Stay away from anything under 10 gallons though. The small 2-5 gallon compressor run an air nailer fine with only an occsaional wait to build pressure, but an impact wrench or painting takes way more than they can provide.

You can use Harbor Freight quality items for occasional hobby use with no problems. If you're using them daily for months at a time they'll wear out fast, but you should get 3-5 years of good service from most if you're just building a car or two and doing maintenance over that period. If you're doing more than that invest in better tools.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:24 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

thanks for your help guys - good information. I need to come up with some scheme where I can get the air compressor "off the floor" if you know what I mean. Floor space is limited. Maybe I can construct a suspended platform of some kind and put the compressor near the ceiling. I'll take a look at that. I figure $200 to $300 should get me a decent compressor with mounted tank right?

Oh one more thing. with regard to the brand name and quality of the air tools and sockets, etc. do I have to buy name brand stuff or is the no name brand stuff ok for that? You know what I mean. If I bought a standard 10 piece wrench set from craftsman is would cost about $40. If I bought it from Snap-On or SK, it would cost 3 times that price.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoy
thanks for your help guys - good information. I need to come up with some scheme where I can get the air compressor "off the floor" if you know what I mean. Floor space is limited. Maybe I can construct a suspended platform of some kind and put the compressor near the ceiling. I'll take a look at that. I figure $200 to $300 should get me a decent compressor with mounted tank right?
I do recall seing a picture posted by a member who built a shelf and had the compressor up on it. Great if you can afford the wall space to get it up and out of the way.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.