Basic question on 69 Camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 10:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Basic question on 69 Camaro

Hello,

I'm very new to old cars, but I really like the lines of the old camaros.

I just bought a '69 camaro convertible from an old man that has owned it for a long time. I had the car checked out by a bodyshop guy and he says there is very little rust and only a small place where there was rust and it was fixed by replacing the sheet metal. (I'm in Miami B.T.W)

The interior is in ok shape and the body really needs painting.

I want the car to look good but I'm not skilled enough to fully restore the car nor do I want to put that much money into it.

What I would like is to get a good paint job on the car and mabe replace some interior and exterior parts. Then drive it for a couple of years and then sell it.

My problem is that I don't want to to anything that would depreciate it.

My plan was to first check and make sure the engine and chasis don't match numbers. Since if they did it would depreicate it more to do non stock upgrades on it right?

1. Where are the numbers located on the engine and the chasis?

Assuming it's a non match I have these questions.

1. Would it be bad to paint it a color other than the original color it came?
2. Would it be bad to paint it a color that was not available at all to the camaros in the year?
3. Does puttin an aftermarket radio in the car depreciate it?
4. I've read that product date can affect value.. Where do I find the numbers on the car that show if it's an early or late production?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2003, 11:28 AM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

In order to get an answer that's worth anything, post some pics and be prepared with more information about the car.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:42 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

From what I've seen regarding resale, mud in the quarters is almost always inevitable. If the car is a "no-match", it won't command as high a price, but because it is a "classic", you'll still get a pretty penny for it. So in that vein, if it were me, I would keep the color original, or as close to original as possible. Your future buyer may well have the matching number engine and drivetrain.

So regarding the radio, as long as you keep the original and the original mounting hardware, and you don't cut gaping holes into anyplace, you should be OK. Then when you go to sell it, you can put the original radio back in.

Also, if you are replacing interior and exterior parts, you should not have too much trouble finding '69 Camaro items. Here again, if original parts are available and reasonable, go for them first.

If you do it this way, whether it is a "matching" or non-matching vehicle, you are keeping as close to original as possible which will probably bring you a better resale price. You can then advertise it as a "vintage" vehicle for the most part, but disclose whatever swap has been done.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

CK this site and these guys will help

http://www.chevytalk.com/

Your questions would be better answered here as your questions point to the Fact you are not wanting to HotRod this car. This is a HotRod site.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:56 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

all original, what a concept

first, everybody is right. as to originality. all my cars are factory stock except for my truck, and the best thing i ever did was un-stockify it. you can put your motor back into original numbers matching quite easily because they did not start stamping the vin numbers on them till '72 so you can find alot of matching blocks out there if you look hard enough. the only one you wont find is the dz 302 and your's is not a z-28 so all you have to do is find the 327 or 350 block that it came with, whatever that was.
then, if you want concourse restroation (factory original everything), then you need factory original everything. everything according to the plates on the car, or build sheet if you can find it. original color, enamal paint, air cleaners even, no radio, then you need a radio delete plate, do not cut up the dash for a radio. then you will have a car worth over 20K. or you can customize the crap out of it. paint it the way you want, hop up any motor you want, have a body shop whip a 5000 dollar paint job on it and and STILL have a car you can sell for over 20g's. whichever!

okay, BEFORE ANYBODY CALLS ME A LIAR!!! I dont have my factory wheels on my car-DUH! (but they ARE in the garage,heh, heh, heh) and oh yeah, i dont think they painted any 66's with 95 ford paint either! ditto for my seats, but they are close as i could get!

Last edited by bullheimer; 10-28-2003 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Re: CK this site and these guys will help

Quote:
Originally posted by tm454
http://www.chevytalk.com/

Your questions would be better answered here as your questions point to the Fact you are not wanting to HotRod this car. This is a HotRod site.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
If this was true then 75% of the members would be in the wrong place.

Everybody's definition of HotRod is different.

Anything you want to know about a 69 , just ask.
There are several people here that are very knowledgeable on the 69 camaros. You are in the right place as this is a HotRod site.

Build the car like you want to, it will mean just as much to you as the other guys does to him. If we all did it the same car shows sure would be dull.

Troy
Old 10-29-2003, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

If you want to check the originality of your Camaro, you can check the numbers here: http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml or ask here: http://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...?ubb=forum;f=6

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.