Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - "Basics of Basics" Photographing your car.
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
By the way, a couple things I learned I'll leave up to the pros but a number were very useful to most anyone.

First, for the guy with some pro equipment, I couldn't believe how long the shutter speed was! He waited until it was almost dark outside, I mean VERY little light. He then used a 30 second shutter! This way there will be no shadows.

But for the rest of us, what a neat trick. He had us wet down the pavement. It was amazing what a simple FREE trick this was to get NEW perfectly black pavement! All the oil spots disappeared, it was all the same color, that was a neat trick.

The shots last night were of the bed of my brothers 55 F-100 full of Buick nailhead speed equipment. It was shot from up over the truck on the shop roof. The arrangement of the intake manifolds, valvecovers and the like were as he put it "an unplanned, random arrangement" It was very cool listening to him think out loud as to the look he was after. That pertains to all shots, they should look like they aren't "planned".

Brian