"Basics of Basics" Photographing your car. - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,118 Times in 994 Posts
You need a host, I use my AOL web space. Just upload it on a host site and then post the url to the photo by clicking on the button on the left that looks like a mountain range.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Jacks 1977 Corvette

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1031
I mentioned the building growing out of the tail of the car,
As far as thsi se tof shots i like the first one better and the second one i like also everytign but the fron end of your car is just a tid bit hot or blowen out some. If you have photo shop you could adjust that a bit and make the front of the car stand out a bit more and it would be a really good shot.
how do you post in here? i would like to post a photo for you but have no clue how to get it to work . dont get the normal up load screen on this site.
To post here, first you have to have your pictures hosted somewhere and not on your Hard Drive. If you have your pictures hosted, if you can't see the Insert Image icon above this box, type in: (I have them spaced out one space so it will show here, don't use spaces)
[ i m g ]<---your hosted url picture here--->[ / i m g ]
Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 AM

ok thanks now i will have to find a host site that i can use i shall be back LOL

the only ones i have are all passwrod protected for client phots so i cant use those I will find somethign, Thanks.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

Your internet provider usually will have some, I know MSN, AOL, and others do.

You can do it right here though. Upload the photo by clicking on the "Manage attachments" botton, just below where you type your reply. Click on "Browse" and choose where the photo is in your computer, then click "open" then "upload". When you post your reply there will be a link to that photo on Hotrodders web space. You can the "edit" your reply, right click on the photo after opening it, click on "properties" and then copy the address and then post that address with the mentioned "[img]........[/img]" and there you go.

Brian
Old 09-03-2005, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Ok, here are some of mine. First I have to appologize for any comments on darkness or shadows on your shots Jack. As I said, between all reasons I gave you just don't know how much of what you see on this monitor is really in the photo you hold in your hand. I have a LOT to learn about how to post the photo that is for sure. These photos were taken with nice Pentax and Nikon Cameras and are for the most part crysal clear, you couldn't tell that after scanning them on my junk scanner. And the darkness, holy crap, they were almost too dark to see! I had to lighten them up so much they are washed out. I have never did this with a photo I cared to look good. It has worked well for me for my ebay photos though .

Anyway, judge them on the "shot" please and give me break on focus and lighting.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Yes, I can get a little "artsy".

This was chosen as a cover shot on a mag. I personally don't think it is that good of a "sales" shot. It made a nice 11x14 for the wall though. But it hit me as I write this why they used it....it has a bunch of wasted space over the car for all the "teasers" and magazine name!

Old 09-03-2005, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

Now you got me started. nitpick away, I know they are not perfect, but nice photos I think.

Brian

Old 09-05-2005, 06:23 PM
02,87,67,66,34 all Chevys

Last journal entry: Side project
Last photo:

Brian;
Here it goes...
Some great shots, however

The drive train shot looks great. I like the angle used, it uses the pavement as a blank back ground as not to draw attention away from the subject.
The interior shots are well composed but have harsh shadows. Try using a diffuser on your flash. Another technique is to remove the flash from the TOP of the camera and put it a foot or so below the camera. Due to the downward angle of the shot, the lowered flash will cast shadows UP and out of the photo.
The cruising photo is also an excellent shot. Good composition, good balance, the color wash out on the road actually helps balance the vivid blackness of the car. I would probably photo shop out all the little white signs nailed to the trees and maybe the fence.
The Mag cover shot, once again excellent! Tells a story, old house, old car, days gone by. Good use of low angle without shrinking the top of the house!
Skull shot...excellent use of focal length to blur the foreground and back ground.
The half shot...my favorite, again good use of focal length.
The artsy shot...didn't like it (sorry)! Many issues, we'll talk more about it later.
Shot with the bridge...once again, Blah. No contrast between the car and the bridge. Tree on left is too distracting.
Rod in grass...Good shot but could be better. A slightly higher angle would have brought the top edge of the window just below the fence line.
It is hard to get good photos without something screwing up the back ground, thank God for photo Shop or if you are an old fart like me, a dark room. The following is about 1 minute of work using Microsloth Paint, but I think you will understand where I'm coming from...

Getting rid of the tree, stump and road brings the focus back on the car.

On one hand you are an outstanding photographer, on the other hand you suck. Welcome to the wonderful world of photography!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Matt, I can't argue with a thing you said. I have always liked the "Half shot" too. The car has such interesting mechanics and it shows that off. The upper interior shot isn't that bad with shadows is it? I shot that with a floresent light up under the dash. The trunk, well, it just plan sucks, I agree, that was natural bright sun light.

It is amazing at the difference with the mods you did to the photo. Yeah, I have zero skills in that. And I can see the driving shot could really use some cleaning up. I never thought much of those signs, now thanks to you, they are all I see!

Thanks again, Brian
Old 09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Jacks 1977 Corvette

Last photo:

Brian,

I was gone for several days down to Oregon so I haven't been online. So, I wasn't ignoring you.

Anyway, when I have more time, (my parents are visiting for the next two weeks) I will look at the pixs closer.
There were several I liked that you took. The house one you took was nice, I like that kind too. A couple of the "lighter" ones would look terrific with right exposure for posting.

Like you had said, I've found prints that look great, didn't look so good when scanned...

I will make more comments this week.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-21-2005, 11:01 AM

Hey

you guys are gonna have to excuse me Im only posting here because i dont know how to make a new posting.Hopefully it wont bother many people.My bother just sold me his car. I was wondering what kind of customizing tips someone could give on a black 2001 alero. My problem is Im accustomed to having a car that people fall over lookaing at it as it passes and this just isnt it.I need something to separate it from the rest as well as make me happy to drive it. Sorry to jump in here its just im kinda desperate i mean i dont think i can even ad a car bra to it, im mean its black. it has a fin thats one thing its got going for it and im about to put some new wheels on it but ive been looking at custom models on the web all day and its like some kind of joke. Its kind of a conservative looking car but surely there's something i can do for it. Help.Thanks. Ms. Stormie
Old 09-21-2005, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Stormie, just go to the main menu and click on the "NEW THREAD" button on the top left.

That would be a MUCH better thing to do get the responses you are after.

Brian
Old 09-22-2005, 09:14 AM

Thanks

Thanks Brian
Old 09-22-2005, 09:22 AM

hello

someone please tell me how to post.someone said go to new threads on the main menu. I did that.it gave me a listing of new posts not the option of making one,please help.Thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

Stormie, go the the "Body-Exerior" forum page that you clicked on this thread. On the left side at the top of the list of threads is a button that says "NEW THREAD", click on it. Type your title, and text and then click on the "Submit new thread" button at the bottom.

Brian

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.