"Basics of Basics" Photographing your car. - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Jacks 1977 Corvette

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Help me pick a pix for my website

Which of these pixs do you think is best for my website and why did you pick it. It is mostly the Space Needle placement in the photo. I'm sorry you guys don't like the curb, but thats the only way I can get that particular shot.

Okay, here is one without the curb

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Jacks...

I like the first one with the needle on the left side of the shot. It just seems more balanced. As for the last one of the car facing away...it seems like the city is running uphill. I think it would look better with the city scape out of focus. Just my $.02.

barry
Old 09-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
Jack, yeah the one with needle on the left. I have to say, I really like the last one. I think that is a thought provoking shot.

What is with the Oregon plates? Are playing some registration game?

Brian
Old 09-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Jacks 1977 Corvette

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Jack, yeah the one with needle on the left. I have to say, I really like the last one. I think that is a thought provoking shot.

What is with the Oregon plates? Are playing some registration game?

Brian
I am in the Seattle area in the Summer, then when the weather goes bad, I head for my other place in Gold Beach, OR. I'm a lifelong Oregonian.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

If you want to check out some great photos take a look at this sites offereings..... http://radrides.com/photogallery.php?sub=chicayne

Brian
Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The first page of the thread covers the subject, then a fight broke out followed by a 'how to post' lecture then, finally, back to photography.

-----

MARTINSR:
Your opening post covers the most common mistakes in photography, not just photographing cars, along with simple solutions. Personally, I'd move composition to the top of the list because if a person can't decide what the photograph is supposed to be about, it's going to be a snapshot that stays in a shoebox. The following is nothing more than re-stating what your first post said, in a little different order and form, 'way back at the start of this thread.

-----

Even with a digital camera, you should stop and look at what's in the viewfinder before clicking that shutter. What's it about? What's occupying most of the frame? What's distracting? Does the background interfere?

Crop it! You shoot a little extra in the frame just to make sure you get everything you were after, but before you print it or publish it, you trim the fat off. If the photo is about your car, your house shouldn't occupy half the image. Measure it. Most of the time you will find that around 2/3 of your image has nothing to do with what you want to show. Would you enter a drag race while towing two taxis? Same thing.

"You can't really tell because it's so dark, but...". If you have to explain it, it's a failed shot; the only image you're presenting is the one you remember, not the one you meant to have in the photograph. Cameras capture light, not brain waves, auras or memories.

No amount of special effects, filters or weird angles and rotations of the camera will fix a bad photo. They can ruin a good one, though. Photograph, don't decorate.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Lightbulb Added to Hotrodders Knowledge Base

This discussion has been added to the General Rodding Tech Discussions category of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base.

--For the main page of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For more information on the Hotrodders Knowledge Base, click here.

--For information on becoming a Hotrodders Knowledge Base Editor, click here.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:34 AM

Last photo:

"Basics of Basics" Photographing your car.

Thanks for all the great points and help!
Old 02-25-2006, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

LOL, ok guys, I can admit it, I know NOTHING about REAL photography. I had this revalation today while I was in the presence of Steve Coonan shooting my brothers Roadster and 55 F-100 for his magazine "The Rodders Journal". I was honored to be there listening to him and how he prepared for a shot. I was absolutely blown away at how much I don't know about this subject.

My "Basics" cover the .....well.......BASICS just to get you started in the right direction. I never intended for anyone to think I am an experianced pro or anything like that, and I am sure I made that clear in the original post. But after hanging around with Steve this evening, I REALLY know that I know NOTHING about the subject.

Brian
Old 02-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Jacks 1977 Corvette

Last photo:

how about this one?

Another Alki Beach shot with Olympic Mountains in background.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

By the way, a couple things I learned I'll leave up to the pros but a number were very useful to most anyone.

First, for the guy with some pro equipment, I couldn't believe how long the shutter speed was! He waited until it was almost dark outside, I mean VERY little light. He then used a 30 second shutter! This way there will be no shadows.

But for the rest of us, what a neat trick. He had us wet down the pavement. It was amazing what a simple FREE trick this was to get NEW perfectly black pavement! All the oil spots disappeared, it was all the same color, that was a neat trick.

The shots last night were of the bed of my brothers 55 F-100 full of Buick nailhead speed equipment. It was shot from up over the truck on the shop roof. The arrangement of the intake manifolds, valvecovers and the like were as he put it "an unplanned, random arrangement" It was very cool listening to him think out loud as to the look he was after. That pertains to all shots, they should look like they aren't "planned".

Brian
Old 05-13-2006, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

DJ here

thanks for all the tips--but the problem I am having is---I have shot several with my digital camera, and whenever I try to update my profile to add some pics of my cars---ALL of them are too large. I have reduced my image quality setting down to the basic, and also have changed image size down to 640 which is the lowest setting on my camera. Took a couple more pics, tonite, just to see if this is where I need to be, but they were still toooooo large. Your help would be appreciated.

DJ
Old 05-13-2006, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

I barely know enough about that subject to take snap shots at my childrens birthdays. You really need to start a new thread on "Digital photos" or go to a forum dedicated to the subject. If you do find a good one and learn something, bring it all back here would ya?

Brian
Old 05-14-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djboen
thanks for all the tips--but the problem I am having is---I have shot several with my digital camera, and whenever I try to update my profile to add some pics of my cars---ALL of them are too large. I have reduced my image quality setting down to the basic, and also have changed image size down to 640 which is the lowest setting on my camera. Took a couple more pics, tonite, just to see if this is where I need to be, but they were still toooooo large. Your help would be appreciated.

DJ
DJ - that is such a simple problem to fix. I use programs like Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photo Shop or Coral Draw to edit pics but for this task all you need it "Paint" which comes standard with windows.

Step 1. Open the pic in "Paint".

Step 2. In the menu bar on top of the screen, click on "Image".

Step 3. Scroll down to "Stretch/Skew" and click on that. A box will open up.

Step 4. It should say "Stretch" on the top with horizontal and vertical settings. Type in an equal percentage in both boxes. Example: 50% X 50%. This will size the picture down to 50% of its original size without messing with the resolution. (Don't worry about the "Skew" settings. Leave those at "0")

Step 5. Once you've done that click on OK and the pic will go to that size.

You may have to play with it a few times to get the right size you want.... you may want to do 40% or 25%. If it’s not as small as you wanted it to be just click on "undo" under "edit" in the menu bar and start over with a smaller percentage.

Don't worry about making setting changes on your camera. Keep it at a good resolution and do all your editing on the computer. If you want to get fancy with your pics.... I suggest you grab one of the programs I listed above.... the best one in my book is Adobe Photoshop but it is also the most expensive.

Hope that helps you out.

Sean
Old 05-14-2006, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Very cool Sean, I thought it would mess with the resolution.

I have to "get with it" using my digital camera.

Brian

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.