Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - "Basics of Basics" Sprung door repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I thought I would post a few more photos with another hinge design. Same effect, but just an idea of how versatile this trick is. My Rambler passenger door needed to be aligned, it was hitting the cowl right at the bottom of the vent glass. The gape was closed up along the A pillar to just about nothing. The door was a little high so I lowered it, made things a little better but still the A pillar was real tight.

If you look at the photos you can see that these hinges are very odd, they fold against one an other like a house door hinge! You could go up and down and in and out a little but there is no way to bring the door back at the top like it needed. Not without shimming it of course and I didn't want to do that.

What I needed to do was bring the top back a little, leaving the bottom right were it was. The old block of wood in the hinge did just the trick, it bent the hinge and or mounting points just a little bit. I brought the striker down, and wham, door fit like a champ.

The first photo is of an old door I have so you can get a good understanding of how the hinge works. The second is off the door on my car taken from the front with the fender off. The third is where I put the wood on the top hinge. Last being finished fit.

Just another trick to door alignment.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7590.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	986.1 KB
ID:	53533   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7591.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	950.8 KB
ID:	53534   Click image for larger version